Proxmox with OMV or with Webmin

macamba

Mar 8, 2011
Currently I have a fresh install with Proxmox running with OpenMediaVault in a container.
Option 1: The idea is to have the Proxmox host take care of the ZFS file system and than share directories via 'bind' with the OpenMediaVault container. Is this possible?
Other options I am considering:
Option 2: Share the actual disk including filesystem with OpenMediaVault. How do I do that?
Option 3: Run Webmin on the Proxmox host itself. Any experience with that?

Curious to the options people prefer here and why?

One hard requirement is by the way that I want to run ZFS on the Proxmox host itself, because that's the system I trust most with my data ;-).

Reactions: patrickhult
If you are wanting to use OMV for storage in your solution and want to run it as a VM inside of Proxmox. I would suggest that you create an OMV VM and then using PCIe passthrough either pass the drives themselves that you want to use for OMV to that VM or passthrough the HBA that the drives are connected to directly to the OMV VM.

It is best practice (IMHO) on any storage solution to keep the drives used for storage dedicated to the storage OS so that should the need arise you can connect said drives to a bare metal install of your storage OS and have access to your data and not using Proxmox to handle ZFS.

If you are wanting a ZFS solution for storage I would look at using FreeNAS which is built on and around the ZFS file system. Though it does require direct access to the disks it can be virtualized in a VM with PCIe passthrough as well.

Hi, sorry reanimating this thread, but it would be very interesting to know what have you done at the end ;-)! I'm in the same situation right now, wondering that OMV only supports raw devices and no mount-points, what's quite sad. I would like to have the drives managed by Proxmox and shared them from OMV, to have some nice UI at least for this ;o).

Hi, sorry reanimating this thread, but it would be very interesting to know what have you done at the end ;-)! I'm in the same situation right now, wondering that OMV only supports raw devices and no mount-points, what's quite sad. I would like to have the drives managed by Proxmox and shared them from OMV, to have some nice UI at least for this ;o).

I use ZFS for my data disks on the proxmox host itself. ZFS has some SMB and NFS sharing facilities build in. I would not proceed with webmin. For now I don't need OMV, managing shares on the host itself manual is also fine. In case I want some automation in managing the shares I would install OMV in a privileged container and share host directories with the container via local bind. And then you can go from their managing your stuff with OMV.

The issue is, that OMV can not use the mount share-points when I understand it correctly: I've tried it a bit and it asked for /dev raw devices, not the file-system. Pretty strange I think = unusable. I'm playing with LXC TurnKey-FileServer (from the templates-storage); the only nasty thing was to instantiate it as unprivileged, what worked at the end. I'm tuning it in this moment, looks promising ;-).

The issue is, that OMV can not use the mount share-points when I understand it correctly: I've tried it a bit and it asked for /dev raw devices, not the file-system. Pretty strange I think = unusable. I'm playing with LXC TurnKey-FileServer (from the templates-storage); the only nasty thing was to instantiate it as unprivileged, what worked at the end. I'm tuning it in this moment, looks promising ;-).
As far as I understand if the container needs network file sharing capabilies you will need a privileged container. Regarding OMV I have not tested it, probably will in the future. There are other open source NAS solutions besides OMV as well, e.g.:
- Amahi
- Rockstor
- FreeNAS (OMV is the Linux version of FreeNAS OpenBSD as I understood)

Maybe the other ones except directories instead of disks. OMV was my first preference since it's based on FreeNAS. FreeNAS I was trying to prevent since I need to get acquinted with openbsd as well than.

I just checked TurnKey-FileServer, might do the job as well for me. Although OMV has some nice addons but depends on your use case for the system in the end.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!