Proxmox Web Interface is not working

N

npc0mpl3te

Proxmox boots up and says to connect my browser to https://192.168.100.2 but I cannot connect to the web interface through that ip address. I cannot ping this address or the machine's address 192.168.1.4, nor can I ping the router from inside proxmox. What could be the problem?

Proxmox boots up and says to connect my browser to https://192.168.100.2 but I cannot connect to the web interface through that ip address. I cannot ping this address or the machine's address 192.168.1.4, nor can I ping the router from inside proxmox. What could be the problem?

Hi,
you have to plug in the cable ;) sorry for the joke
But seriously,
There are too little information to help concretely.
A server has more than one NIC, you are using the right one?
The NICs are activate in the BIOS, and so on ...
Then I would read about in the Proxmox wiki and also in the Ubuntu
wiki for the right network configuration

What say
Code:
 ifconfig,
ip link show
ip address show
and so on ...

regards,
maxprox

I have only one NIC.
ifconfig eth0 produces:
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 14:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST
... ect

ip link show produces the same
eth0: <BROADCAST, MULTICAST, UP, LOWER_UP> ...

for sure the NIC is recognized and enabled
I can ping the loopback device 127.0.0.1
Apache2 is running
The Proxmox machine 192.168.1.4 is shown as connected through my router's web interface, but is not pingable

It doesn't make much sense to me

Maybe a mistype, but in your question you show https to 192.168.100.2 (so 192.168.100.x) and the machine in 192.168.1.4 (so 192.168.1.x). Do you want to have in separate subnet, or you are trying to ping the wrong address (.100.2 instead of .1.2 ?)

192.168.1.4 is the address of the machine on the network. 192.168.1.1 is the router, 192.168.1.2 is my desktop, 192.168.1.3 is my laptop and 192.168.1.4 is the Proxmox machine. 192.168.100.2 is the ip that Proxmox tells me to connect to through my web browser.

Except if you insert special routing rules, you can't ping or access a host on a different subnet (I suppose your netmask is 255.255.255.0). Change the IP of proxmox, the one you gave it during installation is WRONG, is has to begin with 192.168.1.x and NOT 192.168.100.x, otherwise you can't access from other hosts.
So you think that proxmox IP is 192.168.1.4, but is 192.168.100.2. Also you tell about "eth0", don't touch it, is vmbr0 to config, but was done automatically during installation.
Since you messed things up, do this:
Log from console in proxmox (user root, password the one you provided during installation).
With an editor you are able to use edit the file /etc/network/interfaces and change the line so you will have ONLY something like this:
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

auto vmbr0                                                                                                                                                                                                  
iface vmbr0 inet static                                                                                                                                                                                     
        address  192.168.1.4                                                                                                                                                                                
        netmask  255.255.255.0                                                                                                                                                                              
        gateway  192.168.1.1                                                                                                                                                                                
        bridge_ports eth0                                                                                                                                                                                   
        bridge_stp off                                                                                                                                                                                      
        bridge_fd 0
save and exit.
reboot proxmox (command "reboot" from root prompt)
Enjoy, it will work :)

Except if you insert special routing rules, you can't ping or access a host on a different subnet (I suppose your netmask is 255.255.255.0). Change the IP of proxmox, the one you gave it during installation is WRONG, is has to begin with 192.168.1.x and NOT 192.168.100.x, otherwise you can't access from other hosts.
So you think that proxmox IP is 192.168.1.4, but is 192.168.100.2. Also you tell about "eth0", don't touch it, is vmbr0 to config, but was done automatically during installation.
Since you messed things up, do this:
Log from console in proxmox (user root, password the one you provided during installation).
With an editor you are able to use edit the file /etc/network/interfaces and change the line so you will have ONLY something like this:
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

auto vmbr0                                                                                                                                                                                                  
iface vmbr0 inet static                                                                                                                                                                                     
        address  192.168.1.4                                                                                                                                                                                
        netmask  255.255.255.0                                                                                                                                                                              
        gateway  192.168.1.1                                                                                                                                                                                
        bridge_ports eth0                                                                                                                                                                                   
        bridge_stp off                                                                                                                                                                                      
        bridge_fd 0
save and exit.
reboot proxmox (command "reboot" from root prompt)
Enjoy, it will work :)

I have tried the steps above and have had no luck solving the same issue, router:192.168.1.1, PC: 192.168.1.110, proxmox: 192.168.1.200, i can ping 127.0.0.1 on proxmox and its ok, but i get "sky2 eth0: tx timeout on the proxmox , any ideas?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!