Proxmox VNC clipboard sharing not working?

omarkb93

Nov 21, 2022
I followed the guide here regarding enabling vnc for my Windows 11 VM. I'm using remmina to connect (I also tested with vinagre), and while the display is working, clipboard sharing is not. IT works for another windows machine (not VM) that's running a tiger-VNC server, so I don't think it's an issue on the client side, and it made me think maybe it's on the proxmox side. Is the proxmox vnc server set up to support clipboard sharing in this way, or is there anything I can do to make it so? Maybe this is the same reason the built-in noVNC sharing doesn't have clipboard sharing.

Copy paste works but it is just isolated between systems. I tried looking at vnc logs using `grep vnc /var/log/* -R | less` on the proxmox host but don't see anything particularly conspicuous.

I can't really use spice for my VMs because they have GPUs passed through and spice doesn't play nicely with that.

@MarkusF I'm unfamiliar with proxmox development cycles, do you have a sense of when I might hope this is applied, or is there some way I could subscribe or follow the issue?

Last edited:
I tested this and it works great, thanks. For future reference, I have the folowing line in my `/etc/pve/local/qemu-server/100.conf`

Code:
args: -vnc 0.0.0.0:100

and I ran qm set 100 --vga clipboard=vnc, And made sure my vm had vdagent installed (sudo apt install spice-vdagent). After that, in the proxmox gui -> vm -> hardware -> display shows up as 'Default (clipboard=vnc)' and the clipboard works as expected when connecting to <hostname>:6000 in remina.

Would be great to add the vnc flag and vga clipboard option to the gui (or maybe even make it default) at some point so that it takes less searching.

Reactions: Darkk
I tested this and it works great, thanks. For future reference, I have the folowing line in my `/etc/pve/local/qemu-server/100.conf`

Code:
args: -vnc 0.0.0.0:100

and I ran qm set 100 --vga clipboard=vnc, And made sure my vm had vdagent installed (sudo apt install spice-vdagent). After that, in the proxmox gui -> vm -> hardware -> display shows up as 'Default (clipboard=vnc)' and the clipboard works as expected when connecting to <hostname>:6000 in remina.

Would be great to add the vnc flag and vga clipboard option to the gui (or maybe even make it default) at some point so that it takes less searching.
Could you show me how dose it work ? I have tried many ways but still didn't succeed.

Hi, I have enabled clipboard via
Code:
qm set 100 --vga clipboard=vnc
command. I can see new button in noVNC console including textarea for clipboard content. But there is no submit button or anything.

How does this feature work?

Attachments

• 1725959056605.png
    1725959056605.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 7

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!