Proxmox VM: Port Forwarding Issues?

oguruma

Mar 26, 2020
I want to replace my 3CX PBX server (currently running on a bare metal server) with a Proxmox VM.

The firewall rules are already configured, and I have verified they work. I simply altered the rules to point to the Proxmox VM I made, instead of the old server.

I created the VM, however none of the traffic is reaching the VM (ports 5060-5061, 5090, 5001, and 9000-10999).

I created a Bridge for an unused NIC on the motherboard, and assigned it to the VM. The VM can ping the outside world without issue.

So, I'm assuming there is some configuration that most be done on the Proxmox Host to forward traffic to the specific VMs, however I am at a loss for what that is....

Can somebody point me in the right direction? Assuming the configuration of the router is correct (it is) what do I have to do to let traffic reach the VM?

hi,

I created the VM, however none of the traffic is reaching the VM (ports 5060-5061, 5090, 5001, and 9000-10999).

what error are you receiving?

is firewall activated on the vm?

So, I'm assuming there is some configuration that most be done on the Proxmox Host to forward traffic to the specific VMs, however I am at a loss for what that is....
yes, you must enable portforwarding. take a look at here[0]

[0]: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Networ...ith_tt_span_class_monospaced_iptables_span_tt

hi,

what error are you receiving?

is firewall activated on the vm?

yes, you must enable portforwarding. take a look at here[0]

[0]: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Networ...ith_tt_span_class_monospaced_iptables_span_tt

3CX has a built-in firewall checker tool, and the VM is failing all of the tests for each port....

The firewall isn't turned on on the VM, no. I also forgot to mention that I installed from the 3CX custom ISO, which takes care of all of the configuration, itself.

Also, is it possible to just give the VM an entire NIC (as in, without having to create a bridge), so that Proxmox itself has no say in forwarding traffic at all?

yes, it's pretty stable.

you can pass the integrated NIC as well (just make sure you don't pass the wrong one)

EDIT:

i'll have to mention that using pci passthrough will make you unable to use live-migration capabilities (migrating vms while they're online)

backup/restore procedures are also affected by this.

it's probably more preferable if you go for the masquerading network setup

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!