Proxmox VM Backup Stop-mode

Younex

Jan 30, 2018
Hi,

is it normal behaviour for VM backup with stop-mode having it shutdown, then booting up and backup starts.

My idea was it will keep offline until backup is complete and only after that boots the vm back online?

Hi,

is it normal behaviour for VM backup with stop-mode having it shutdown, then booting up and backup starts.

Yes, the QEMU VM process needs always to run to be able to get all data for backup - that doesn't necessarily means that the VM OS runs.

My idea was it will keep offline until backup is complete and only after that boots the vm back online?

If it was stopped before only the QEMU process will get started, if it was started before the QEMU process will be started but the guest OS not yet, after all is setup and we have a clean state the VM will be told to continue and the OS starts again - but the backups happens from the shutdown state. Hope this was said somewhat clear :)

If it was stopped before only the QEMU process will get started, if it was started before the QEMU process will be started but the guest OS not yet, after all is setup and we have a clean state the VM will be told to continue and the OS starts again - but the backups happens from the shutdown state. Hope this was said somewhat clear :)

Hi.

Thanks for reply.

This is why i ask, because after this the backup i check online-time of the OS and see there is no interruption.
It seems to me the OS is not being shutdown but the Stop-Backup just proceeds.
Do i miss something (not properly configured guest-tool)?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!