Proxmox VE - which storage type (SSD/HDD; ZFS or what?)

drnicolas

Renowned Member
Dec 8, 2010
I am planning to build my first "production" PVE.
For this, I am searching for recommendation for which storage type to use.

1. PERC controller with HDDs?
2. SSDs (preferably U.2 ?
3. HDDs ?

2a - which file system ZFS? ceph? RAIDZ1?
3a - see 2a

Maybe there is a good Q&A on that

Additional info:
The PVE should host at least 3 Windows server VM which all should be replicated to another PVE

To use CEPH you need:

- At least 3 PVE hosts with similar hardware and storage capacity.
- At least 2x1G network among them (2x10G is extremely recomended).
- Less than 2ms latency among all nodes (this drives out most geographically dispersed cluster due to WAN restrictions).

The advantage with CEPH deployments are many, but might not be suitable for your scenario.

If you want to use replication among PVEs, you must use ZFS on both ProxmoxVE servers. So:

- Check if your PERC controller can be configured as JBOD so it passes through each disk untouched (i.e. converts your PERC to a simple SCSI controller). Alternatively, create a RAID0 for each disk.
- Install Proxmox and create a mirror with your disks (recomended for performance reasons) or use any RAID-Z level you find appropiate for your workload.
- Setup your VMs on that ZFS storage.

The choice of using SSD or HDDs depends on your performance requirements, required capacity and budget.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!