[TUTORIAL] Proxmox VE on ProLiant MicroServer Gen8

isgroup

Mar 27, 2022
Hi Proxmox VE community, I just updated Proxmox 6 to 7 on a MicroServer Gen8 and had few issues, I'm writing a post to summarize this journey! The issue seems to be that the hardware is considered "old" and software support is starting to fade. Feel free to suggest and partecipate to the discussion.

Slow console

You can detect if this issue is impacting you if the console is so slow that you can't input keystrokes using the iLO KVM or an attached keyboard and monitor.

This issue is known and documented and has to do with hardware-software interrupt coordination (some sort of "bug"):
Can be solved by setting the following options in /etc/default/grub:

Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=igfx_off intremap=off"

hpilo kernel messages and Agentless Management Service (amsd) not working

You can detect if this issue is impacting you in two ways:

1) In dmesg/console you have messages like:

Code:
hpilo 0000:01:00.2: Open could not dequeue a packet
hpilo 0000:01:00.2: Closing, but controller still active

2) In iLO under "Subsystems and Devices" (it's in System Information/Summary) Agentless Management Service is marked as "Not available", regardless if the "amsd" daemon is installed, running, etc.

This happens because the latest "amsd" package supporting iLO 4 is the stretch one. Anyway the binary seems to be pretty self-contained and you can safely set the stretch repository in "/etc/apt/sources.list.d/hpe.list":

Code:
#deb https://downloads.linux.hpe.com/SDR/repo/mcp bullseye/current non-free

# Do not go beyond stretch as iLo 4 is no longer supported, eg:
# hpilo 0000:01:00.2: Open could not dequeue a packet
# hpilo 0000:01:00.2: Closing, but controller still active
deb https://downloads.linux.hpe.com/SDR/repo/mcp stretch/current non-free

Issues to be solved
  • Long (see below!) delay after LUKS password input and LVM volume mount
Code:
[    4.649449] random: lvm: uninitialized urandom read (4 bytes read)
[  177.116567] usb 2-1: new full-speed USB device number 2 using uhci_hcd
  • Add your issue (an solution!)

I see those socket errors in my console. Console is not slow however other than being remote.
I've been very nervous about upgrading from 7.1.7 to the latest proxmox fearing things will not go well.

Nice to see someone share their experience, thanks for that.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!