Proxmox VE installed on cloud server? Secure the management UI?

oguruma

Mar 26, 2020
I have a small MSP company. I have several VMs, most of them on Vultr, a couple on AWS. It would be much more efficient for me to migrate these VMs to KVMs or LXC containers in Proxmox on a bare metal server.

How common is it for users to install Proxmox VE on bare metal cloud servers?

If I do so, how do I go about securing the management interface? Is restricting the IPs with the firewall that can access that port the best method? Would something like nginx proxy manager be a practical way to do it (since I would like to be able access the UI from home and on the road where I have dynamic IPs).

I have a small MSP company. I have several VMs, most of them on Vultr, a couple on AWS. It would be much more efficient for me to migrate these VMs to KVMs or LXC containers in Proxmox on a bare metal server.
I trust that you weighed all pros and cons. Currently your CSP is responsible for backup/recovery/failover of your VMs. With a single bare-metal server that falls on you. Making a cluster in CSP may not be as efficient. In the end its your choice.

If I do so, how do I go about securing the management interface? Is restricting the IPs with the firewall that can access that port the best method? Would something like nginx proxy manager be a practical way to do it (since I would like to be able access the UI from home and on the road where I have dynamic IPs).
Your best approach is to block everything, create a VPN tunnel with trusted software (i.e. OpenVPN), and/or use SSH tunnel.

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!