Proxmox ve install failure

Sonet04

Oct 17, 2022
I have a Lenovo P53 laptop and I would like to run Proxmox VE. The PC’s bios is locked but I can use the available Legacy USB boot option to install Ubuntu and centos using tools like Rufus and the the ISO image of the sw. When it comes to PVE 7, I used the same method to try to install PVE via the Legacy USB boot option, the boot screen of the PC went black for a second and it went back to the same screen. It did not even drop to the GRUB prompt.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for the reply. I did try out both the DD and ISO mode on Rufus but failed. I also tried using VENTOY but the PC complained about security when I used VENTOY. I tried both the PVE 7.0 an d7.1. Same issues but I can install Ubuntu and Centos on the PC.

Are you sure you disabled Secure boot? Asking as you wrote about the laptop being locked? The CentOS, Ubuntu or Debian ISOs are signed with Microsoft's UEFI secure boot key that's backed-in in most HW sold, the Proxmox VE ISOs (currently) are not signed with that. We plan to apply for this via the rh-shim sometime next year.

For now, I'd recommend installing Proxmox VE on top of plain Debian:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_11_Bullseye

Reactions: Dunuin
Are you sure you disabled Secure boot? Asking as you wrote about the laptop being locked? The CentOS, Ubuntu or Debian ISOs are signed with Microsoft's UEFI secure boot key that's backed-in in most HW sold, the Proxmox VE ISOs (currently) are not signed with that. We plan to apply for this via the rh-shim sometime next year.

Thanks that also helped me. Tried 5 minutes ago to install a test PVE in a PVE Q35 VM and wasn't able to boot the PVE 7.2 ISO. Just had to remove the "pre-enrolled keys" from the EFI disk.

Thanks that also helped me. Tried 5 minutes ago to install a test PVE in a PVE Q35 VM and wasn't able to boot the PVE 7.2 ISO. Just had to remove the "pre-enrolled keys" from the EFI disk.
My PC is locked down and I cannot disable secure boot. How to remove the pre-enrolled key? Try to mount the Rufus usb stick with the PVE 7.1 ISO image to find the pre-enrolled key without success. Any detailed instructions are appreciated.

Last edited:

Hello, is the installation on top of plain Debian also supported by your support licenses or is this a not supported setup ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!