ProxMox VE Frequent DNS Queries for ProxMox Backup Server

Jul 8, 2021
Indiana, USA
Not really a major issue, but I have noticed that my ProxMox VE server makes frequent DNS queries pertaining to my ProxMox Backup Server (8 queries every 10 seconds). This actually makes up ~50% of the DNS traffic reported by my PiHole server on my network which is surprising considering all the smart devices I own and I only trigger backups every 6 hours.

Is this expected behavior or do I potentially have something misconfigured? PiHole is configured out of the box with a low TTL, but I am surprised ProxMox wants to ping the backup server so often when not in use.

every 10 seconds
This sounds a lot like the pvestatd service checking on the configured storage.

I assume you configured the PBS via its name and not directly via its IP? Why there are 8 queries all the time, I cannot say for sure right now.

Yep, that's how I set it up. I guess to be fair I also have two separate pools managed by that server, so might just be 4 per pool. Also checks for ipv6 too despite not being assigned an address (other than link local), so may could be thought of as 2 per.Screenshot_20211104_220753.png

P.S. I am loving PBS so far as the file restore function came in handy recently.

Did you make any progress on this? I noticed this behavior as well with sending stats to influxdb, all of the proxmox nodes are super chatty doing dns lookups for the influx server.

Follow up, after editing my dnsmasq server to increase the TTLs on the internal domains, proxmox is not honoring them. I still see a huge number of queries, so for now I'm going to set the metrics server to an IP address as a break fix.

I had the sameproblem. I used the host.conf to specify order hosts bind and put the ip resolution addresses in /etc/hosts file.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!