Proxmox VE 8.2.2 WebGUI - VM Name missing even though declared in Options.

somsinha

Jul 19, 2024
Hey Folks - new to Proxmox.

Problems:

1. The VM Name is missing in the list to the left
  2. The VM status is "unknown" even while the VM is running (see the 2nd image).

Details

Missing VM Name​

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I can't see a VM Name in the left-hand toolba4 - only the VMID.
One of the boxes (see below) even shows empty brackets after the VMID, which makes me think that the box really doesn't have a name?
This is the same for all the spots marked with the red box in the picture below, except under options > Name.

prox.png

Do I have to configure something else?
Is this a user-error, or a bug?

Missing VM Status​

Even when the VM is running, the "green check mark" on the icon is missing, and the status is shown as "unknown". (see below).

prox2.png

Again - is this a misconfig, user-error or a bug?

A grey question-mark usually means an issue with the pvestatd service on the proxmox-server.
Try restarting it with systemctl restart pvestatd in the shell of your optiprox1 server and then looking at its status with systemctl status pvestatd to see if anything shows up there (and check if the checkbox now turns green and has the correct name)

Done. No change on both.

PFB logs:

Bash:
root@optiprox1:~# systemctl status pvestatd
● pvestatd.service - PVE Status Daemon
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/pvestatd.service; enabled; preset: enabled)
     Active: active (running) since Sat 2024-07-20 05:05:50 IST; 1h 18min left
   Main PID: 872 (pvestatd)
      Tasks: 1 (limit: 18977)
     Memory: 141.5M
        CPU: 1min 29.847s
     CGroup: /system.slice/pvestatd.service
             └─872 pvestatd

Jul 20 05:05:49 optiprox1 systemd[1]: Starting pvestatd.service - PVE Status Daemon...
Jul 20 05:05:50 optiprox1 pvestatd[872]: starting server
Jul 20 05:05:50 optiprox1 systemd[1]: Started pvestatd.service - PVE Status Daemon.
Jul 20 00:06:35 optiprox1 pvestatd[872]: auth key pair generated in the future (key 1721431594 > host 1721414195), rota>
root@optiprox1:~# systemctl restart pvestatd
root@optiprox1:~# systemctl status pvestatd
● pvestatd.service - PVE Status Daemon
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/pvestatd.service; enabled; preset: enabled)
     Active: active (running) since Sat 2024-07-20 03:47:09 IST; 6s ago
    Process: 47105 ExecStart=/usr/bin/pvestatd start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
   Main PID: 47109 (pvestatd)
      Tasks: 1 (limit: 18977)
     Memory: 95.7M
        CPU: 697ms
     CGroup: /system.slice/pvestatd.service
             └─47109 pvestatd

Jul 20 03:47:09 optiprox1 systemd[1]: Starting pvestatd.service - PVE Status Daemon...
Jul 20 03:47:09 optiprox1 pvestatd[47109]: starting server
Jul 20 03:47:09 optiprox1 systemd[1]: Started pvestatd.service - PVE Status Daemon.
root@optiprox1:~#

Last edited:
One thing I do (now) notice though, is that your clock might have changed (a lot), as it gives warnings / shows things as being "in the future", did you perhaps change time / timezone somewhere?
Maybe also check datetimectl to see if that is correct (both the UTC time, the time-zone and the local/ITC time)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!