Proxmox VE 8.1 released!

what is wrong with last proxmox kernel ?

sometime pci call
Code:
lspci -nn | grep -e 'AMD/ATI'

show that
Code:
01:00.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 10 XL Upstream Port of PCI Express Switch [1002:1478] (rev 11)
02:00.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 10 XL Downstream Port of PCI Express Switch [1002:1479] (rev 11)
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 32 [Radeon RX 7700 XT / 7800 XT] [1002:747e] (rev c8)
03:00.1 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 31 HDMI/DP Audio [1002:ab30]
18:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Raphael [1002:164e] (rev c9)
18:00.1 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Rembrandt Radeon High Definition Audio Controller [1002:1640]

sometime else
Code:
15:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Raphael [1002:164e] (rev c9)
15:00.1 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Rembrandt Radeon High Definition Audio Controller [1002:1640]

how it to use ?

Hi,
what is wrong with last proxmox kernel ?
please specify what version you have installed. You can boot into an older kernel and check there. If there is no output change, it would be good to know the version of that kernel too.
sometime pci call
Code:
lspci -nn | grep -e 'AMD/ATI'

show that
Code:
01:00.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 10 XL Upstream Port of PCI Express Switch [1002:1478] (rev 11)
02:00.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 10 XL Downstream Port of PCI Express Switch [1002:1479] (rev 11)
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 32 [Radeon RX 7700 XT / 7800 XT] [1002:747e] (rev c8)
03:00.1 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 31 HDMI/DP Audio [1002:ab30]
18:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Raphael [1002:164e] (rev c9)
18:00.1 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Rembrandt Radeon High Definition Audio Controller [1002:1640]

sometime else
Code:
15:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Raphael [1002:164e] (rev c9)
15:00.1 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Rembrandt Radeon High Definition Audio Controller [1002:1640]

how it to use ?
What does sometime mean? Does the output change during the same boot? After reboots? Please check your system logs/journal, they might contain more information.

And whats about the sector size of the QEMU disk? This defaulted to 512B/512B logical/physical if I'm not wrong, unless you force it to use 4K which is only possible by directly editing the VM config files and setting aomething like args: -global scsi-hd.logical_block_size=4096,scsi-hd.physical_block_size=4096.

Does this actually matter when using 4K filesystems writing to that 512B virtual disk? In theory it should but I once benchmarked it and wasn't seeing a noticable difference.
These are the type of things I want exposed in the proxmox gui settings, thank you for revealing this, also like the scan zeroes setting that is forcefully enabled when enabling discard in proxmox, that should be optional.

https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4503.

And whats about the sector size of the QEMU disk? This defaulted to 512B/512B logical/physical if I'm not wrong, unless you force it to use 4K which is only possible by directly editing the VM config files and setting aomething like args: -global scsi-hd.logical_block_size=4096,scsi-hd.physical_block_size=4096.

Does this actually matter when using 4K filesystems writing to that 512B virtual disk? In theory it should but I once benchmarked it and wasn't seeing a noticable difference.
After some more thinking I actually think it doesnt matter providing the guest is writing in itself with 4k alignments, so 4k start (or multiple) for first partition and cluster size with a multiple of 4k. A bit like how it doesnt matter using a 512e disk on bare metal as long as 4k aligned.

Last edited:
Reactions: SInisterPisces
After some more thinking I actually think it doesnt matter providing the guest is writing in itself with 4k alignments, so 4k start (or multiple) for first partition and cluster size with a multiple of 4k. A bit like how it doesnt matter using a 512e disk on bare metal as long as 4k aligned.
How do we verify the alignments?

At this rate, there will be a chapter of my autobiography called "ZFS: The Adventure."

How do we verify the alignments?

At this rate, there will be a chapter of my autobiography called "ZFS: The Adventure."
So an example.

Assuming you using rpool for hosting virtual disks.

rpool would have ashift=12 (4k block size), it would be 4k aligned, proxmox should handle this automatically in installer.
Verifiable with tools like fdisk, sgdisk and zpool command.
Then the zvol used to create the disk, would be the volblock size, if its a multiple of 4k, then that assures that will be aligned (the default is a multiple of 4k).
Then inside the operating system, e.g. if its Windows, you create NTFS with a cluster size based on a 4k multiple (default is 4k), you accept the Windows default alignment of 1MB, which is a 4k alignment, then this would not cause any alignment problems.

The good news is now days most file systems will default to 4k or a multiple of it, ZFS is kind of the exception with its silly auto detect code, luckily proxmox lets you force 4k on the installer. I think the main potential trip up is those manually doing things, and then making a mistake, and/or if you using very old software designed for 512byte drives.

Both FreeBSD and Linux allow you to check the parameters used to create the file system. I cannot remember the exact commands of the top of my head though, I think one is tune2fs it has an option to view the parameters. Cannot remember what is used to verify UFS on FreeBSD, NTFS is verifiable with chkdsk it will show you the cluster size, and you can check alignments with disk management tool or a partition manager tool.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!