Proxmox VE 8.0 released!

@spirit pve-cluster.service is running

Code:
● pve-cluster.service - The Proxmox VE cluster filesystem
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/pve-cluster.service; enabled; preset: enabled)
     Active: active (running) since Thu 2023-06-29 10:41:36 CEST; 1min 0s ago
    Process: 676 ExecStart=/usr/bin/pmxcfs (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
   Main PID: 686 (pmxcfs)
      Tasks: 5 (limit: 9298)
     Memory: 11.5M
        CPU: 55ms
     CGroup: /system.slice/pve-cluster.service
             └─686 /usr/bin/pmxcfs

Jun 29 10:41:41 proxmox pmxcfs[686]: [status] notice: received sync request (epoch 1/686/00000001)
Jun 29 10:41:41 proxmox pmxcfs[686]: [dcdb] notice: received all states
Jun 29 10:41:41 proxmox pmxcfs[686]: [dcdb] notice: leader is 1/686
Jun 29 10:41:41 proxmox pmxcfs[686]: [dcdb] notice: synced members: 1/686, 2/761
Jun 29 10:41:41 proxmox pmxcfs[686]: [dcdb] notice: start sending inode updates
Jun 29 10:41:41 proxmox pmxcfs[686]: [dcdb] notice: sent all (0) updates
Jun 29 10:41:41 proxmox pmxcfs[686]: [dcdb] notice: all data is up to date
Jun 29 10:41:41 proxmox pmxcfs[686]: [status] notice: received all states
Jun 29 10:41:41 proxmox pmxcfs[686]: [status] notice: all data is up to date
Jun 29 10:41:41 proxmox pmxcfs[686]: [status] notice: received log

i checked hosts file and indeed it was there "127.0.1.1 <yourhostname"> so i deleted it and restarted pve-cluster

looking at the log there is always this error

Code:
Jun 29 10:40:49 proxmox pmxcfs[5195]: [quorum] crit: quorum_dispatch failed: 2
Jun 29 10:40:49 proxmox pmxcfs[5195]: [status] notice: node lost quorum
Jun 29 10:40:49 proxmox systemd[1]: postfix@-.service: Deactivated successfully.
Jun 29 10:40:49 proxmox systemd[1]: Stopped postfix@-.service - Postfix Mail Transport Agent (instance -).
Jun 29 10:40:49 proxmox systemd[1]: systemd-logind.service: Deactivated successfully.
Jun 29 10:40:49 proxmox systemd[1]: Stopped systemd-logind.service - User Login Management.
Jun 29 10:40:49 proxmox systemd[1]: Removed slice system-postfix.slice - Slice /system/postfix.
Jun 29 10:40:49 proxmox systemd[1]: Stopping user-runtime-dir@0.service - User Runtime Directory /run/user/>
Jun 29 10:40:49 proxmox systemd[1]: run-user-0.mount: Deactivated successfully.
Jun 29 10:40:49 proxmox systemd[1]: Unmounted run-user-0.mount - /run/user/0.
Jun 29 10:40:49 proxmox systemd[1]: user-runtime-dir@0.service: Deactivated successfully.
Jun 29 10:40:49 proxmox systemd[1]: Stopped user-runtime-dir@0.service - User Runtime Directory /run/user/0.
Jun 29 10:40:49 proxmox systemd[1]: Removed slice user-0.slice - User Slice of UID 0.
Jun 29 10:40:49 proxmox systemd[1]: user-0.slice: Consumed 1.127s CPU time.
Jun 29 10:40:49 proxmox systemd[1]: Stopping dbus.service - D-Bus System Message Bus...

Hi,
Saw update for 8.0.3. , went to upgrade and had an error.
The upgrade will fail to open the shell window correctly. The task list at the bottom will show.

View attachment 52332

To get around this hit the down arrow next to Upgrade button and select spice. The update will proceed as normal.
if the issue occurred during the major upgrade, it's expected. The upgrade guide explicitly mentions that the web console will get interrupted and shouldn't be used to perform it: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_7_to_8#Actions_step-by-step

If the issue happened after the upgrade was finished, did you reload the UI and clear the browser cache? Please show the full task log (double click).

Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov
Hi,
Hello, I have a problem with proxmox.
I lose the network connection randomly (after 1 hour to 4 days of operation).
I don't know what the cause is.
I had this problem with 7.4 and unfortunately also with 8.0.3 (fresh install with all updates).
How do I find what is wrong and fix it?
The syslog is not helping me at the moment.
Thanks in advance.
if the issue is not related to the upgrade or Proxmox VE 8 in particular, please open a separate thread with more information about your hardware and the system logs (more eyes can see more things).

Hi,

if the issue occurred during the major upgrade, it's expected. The upgrade guide explicitly mentions that the web console will get interrupted and shouldn't be used to perform it: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_7_to_8#Actions_step-by-step

If the issue happened after the upgrade was finished, did you reload the UI and clear the browser cache? Please show the full task log (double click).
This was several days later after the upgrade. Cleared the browser cache and reloaded. Still did the same. Attached is the log .

Attachments

• Proxmox_log.txt
    2.2 KB · Views: 6
This was several days later after the upgrade. Cleared the browser cache and reloaded. Still did the same. Attached is the log .
Code:
Jun 29 06:17:05 pve4 pveproxy[352995]: Cluster not quorate - extending auth key lifetime!
Seems like there might be an issue with qurum or cluster communication? Please check systemctl status pve-cluster.service and pvecm status.

The task log can be seen by double clicking the task in the UI.

Hello Spirit,
No ping possible to the server when I lose the connection.
No kernel log.
No particular problem with this machine before installing proxmox.
AMD Ryzen 7
Asus Prime X470-PRO with updated bios
64GB of memory
Nvidia Geforce 1080
Fiona, sorry, I thought the problem was with this version as well.

Attachments

• dmesg.txt
    68.5 KB · Views: 3
Code:
Jun 29 06:17:05 pve4 pveproxy[352995]: Cluster not quorate - extending auth key lifetime!
Seems like there might be an issue with qurum or cluster communication? Please check systemctl status pve-cluster.service and pvecm status.

The task log can be seen by double clicking the task in the UI.
I have the other nodes down at the moment , so that error is real . Pre-upgrade I could have the other nodes down and do upgrades on this machine without problem. Like to try upgrades on one machine first to make sure I don't have problems with the more critical nodes.

Will try with the other nodes up later today. Off to work I go....

Last edited:
@spirit pve-cluster.service is running

Code:
● pve-cluster.service - The Proxmox VE cluster filesystem
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/pve-cluster.service; enabled; preset: enabled)
     Active: active (running) since Thu 2023-06-29 10:41:36 CEST; 1min 0s ago
    Process: 676 ExecStart=/usr/bin/pmxcfs (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
   Main PID: 686 (pmxcfs)
      Tasks: 5 (limit: 9298)
     Memory: 11.5M
        CPU: 55ms
     CGroup: /system.slice/pve-cluster.service
             └─686 /usr/bin/pmxcfs

Jun 29 10:41:41 proxmox pmxcfs[686]: [status] notice: received sync request (epoch 1/686/00000001)
Jun 29 10:41:41 proxmox pmxcfs[686]: [dcdb] notice: received all states
Jun 29 10:41:41 proxmox pmxcfs[686]: [dcdb] notice: leader is 1/686
Jun 29 10:41:41 proxmox pmxcfs[686]: [dcdb] notice: synced members: 1/686, 2/761
Jun 29 10:41:41 proxmox pmxcfs[686]: [dcdb] notice: start sending inode updates
Jun 29 10:41:41 proxmox pmxcfs[686]: [dcdb] notice: sent all (0) updates
Jun 29 10:41:41 proxmox pmxcfs[686]: [dcdb] notice: all data is up to date
Jun 29 10:41:41 proxmox pmxcfs[686]: [status] notice: received all states
Jun 29 10:41:41 proxmox pmxcfs[686]: [status] notice: all data is up to date
Jun 29 10:41:41 proxmox pmxcfs[686]: [status] notice: received log

i checked hosts file and indeed it was there "127.0.1.1 <yourhostname"> so i deleted it and restarted pve-cluster

looking at the log there is always this error

Code:
Jun 29 10:40:49 proxmox pmxcfs[5195]: [quorum] crit: quorum_dispatch failed: 2
Jun 29 10:40:49 proxmox pmxcfs[5195]: [status] notice: node lost quorum
Jun 29 10:40:49 proxmox systemd[1]: postfix@-.service: Deactivated successfully.
Jun 29 10:40:49 proxmox systemd[1]: Stopped postfix@-.service - Postfix Mail Transport Agent (instance -).
Jun 29 10:40:49 proxmox systemd[1]: systemd-logind.service: Deactivated successfully.
Jun 29 10:40:49 proxmox systemd[1]: Stopped systemd-logind.service - User Login Management.
Jun 29 10:40:49 proxmox systemd[1]: Removed slice system-postfix.slice - Slice /system/postfix.
Jun 29 10:40:49 proxmox systemd[1]: Stopping user-runtime-dir@0.service - User Runtime Directory /run/user/>
Jun 29 10:40:49 proxmox systemd[1]: run-user-0.mount: Deactivated successfully.
Jun 29 10:40:49 proxmox systemd[1]: Unmounted run-user-0.mount - /run/user/0.
Jun 29 10:40:49 proxmox systemd[1]: user-runtime-dir@0.service: Deactivated successfully.
Jun 29 10:40:49 proxmox systemd[1]: Stopped user-runtime-dir@0.service - User Runtime Directory /run/user/0.
Jun 29 10:40:49 proxmox systemd[1]: Removed slice user-0.slice - User Slice of UID 0.
Jun 29 10:40:49 proxmox systemd[1]: user-0.slice: Consumed 1.127s CPU time.
Jun 29 10:40:49 proxmox systemd[1]: Stopping dbus.service - D-Bus System Message Bus...

Can anyone help me figure out how to fix it?

Fiona, sorry, I thought the problem was with this version as well.
Yes, but you said the issue was already present with Proxmox VE 7.4. So the issue has nothing to do with the release itself, so the release thread is not the best place to talk about it ;) It's too late now, but I'm writing this so you (and other people reading this) know for the future. Another reason why dedicated threads are better: there are many messages here, so it's harder to follow the discussion than it would be in dedicated threads.

@spirit told you to "apt install proxmox-kernel-helper"

already done but even restarting still does not work

Code:
root@proxmox:~# apt install proxmox-kernel-helper
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
proxmox-kernel-helper is already the newest version (8.0.2).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Yes, but you said the issue was already present with Proxmox VE 7.4. So the issue has nothing to do with the release itself, so the release thread is not the best place to talk about it ;) It's too late now, but I'm writing this so you (and other people reading this) know for the future. Another reason why dedicated threads are better: there are many messages here, so it's harder to follow the discussion than it would be in dedicated threads.
so what's doesn't work currently ?

can you send result of:

#pvecm status
#systemctl status corosync
#systemctl status pve-cluster
#systemctl status pveproxy
#systemctl status pvedaemon
#systemctl status pvestatd

and do you have any pending update ?

#apt -f install ?
# apt dist-upgrade ?

I have the other nodes down at the moment , so that error is real . Pre-upgrade I could have the other nodes down and do upgrades on this machine without problem. Like to try upgrades on one machine first to make sure I don't have problems with the more critical nodes.

Will try with the other nodes up later today. Off to work I go....
Fiona - that was it, when i brought up the other nodes , then the console worked fine. I noticed before I added the other nodes in, the regular Shell did not work either. But with all nodes up and running both console and Shell work fine. This is a change from version 7. As before I was able to do the update on one node with the others down. ALL IS GOOD, hope this helps someone else. THANKS FIONA!!!!!

Fiona - that was it, when i brought up the other nodes , then the console worked fine. I noticed before I added the other nodes in, the regular Shell did not work either. But with all nodes up and running both console and Shell work fine. This is a change from version 7. As before I was able to do the update on one node with the others down. ALL IS GOOD, hope this helps someone else. THANKS FIONA!!!!!
I'm not sure there was a change. I tried and can use the upgrade shell just fine on the single online node in a 3-node Proxmox VE 8 cluster. Maybe your issue was related to the auth key somehow, and having quorum fixed it, but not sure.

Hello all and congrats on the new release to all of us! Amazing work Proxmox team!
A quick question... I've installed so far Proxmox with maximum root installation and I got all the room for "VM Disks" and "Volume" (ISO images CT templates etc...)1688121227156.png
Or whenever I forgot I just deleted the pve-data and I can have all the disk for CT Volumes and VM Disks.... (I'm Backing up everything to a different disk)
Yestarday I installed Proxmox 8 for test and I deleted pve-data for test and now seems like PVE Data stores CT Volumes and VM Disks, so when I redistributed the whole space for root, didn't have space for the VM's...
My question is how do I have to setup the installation now to have maximum amount of space for VM Disks and CT Volumes and what will happen if I upgrade my Machine now from proxmox 7.4 to 8 since now the root partition is holding the VM Disks and CT volumes and I have nothing else (not other partition).

Last edited:
Question will the DRBD 9 kernel driver work with the new proxmox kernel 6.2?
DRBD is not directly integrated into Proxmox VE but created by linbit and shipped as external storage plugin, so you should ask on DRBD channels if they support Proxmox VE 8, and it's 6.2 kernel already. For example over the drbd-user mailing list: https://lists.linbit.com/mailman/listinfo/drbd-user

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!