Proxmox VE 7.4 cannot be installed

It works with the user Max, but how can I make it possible to log in as root?
Progress :)

Okay, now we know it is something explicitly stopping root logins and not another ssh fault.

In the CT:
Code:
cat /etc/ssh/sshd_config

Now make sure the following are set (we'll brute-force it, and set it the same as the Proxmox host):
Code:
PermitRootLogin yes
ChallengeResponseAuthentication no
UsePAM yes

See how things go :)

Progress :)

Okay, now we know it is something explicitly stopping root logins and not another ssh fault.

In the CT:
Code:
cat /etc/ssh/sshd_config

Now make sure the following are set (we'll brute-force it, and set it the same as the Proxmox host):
Code:
PermitRootLogin yes
UsePAM yes

See how things go :)
And how do I do that, it is set like this by default when creating CT / VM Server?

And how do I do that, it is set like this by default when creating CT / VM Server?
In your CT we can edit the sshd configuration, we are going to edit that configuration so it has settings the same as a configuration that permits root.

In the CT:
Code:
nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config

Change each of the following lines:
Code:
PermitRootLogin
ChallengeResponseAuthentication
UsePAM

To:
Code:
PermitRootLogin yes
UsePAM yes

Write the file with Ctrl O
Exit the nano editor with Ctrl X

Reboot the container.
Test root login.

In your CT we can edit the sshd configuration, we are going to edit that configuration so it has settings the same as a configuration that permits root.

In the CT:
Code:
nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config

Change each of the following lines:
Code:
PermitRootLogin
ChallengeResponseAuthentication
UsePAM

To:
Code:
PermitRootLogin yes
UsePAM yes

Write the file with Ctrl O
Exit the nano editor with Ctrl X

Reboot the container.
Test root login.
works, but how do I do that later, it's supposed to work fully automatically, that he sets it etc.

That's the thing, I'm not sure it does. In my experience, most systems will prohibit root login over ssh, and it has to be set explicitly.

Note: I've been installing systems with non-root accounts and then setting them up with sudo and ssh keys for login. As a result, I personally don't see the root issue due to making sure it is locked off from ssh access. So, I'm out of the loop as regards root access being automatic; like, more than 10 years.

That's the thing, I'm not sure it does. In my experience, most systems will prohibit root login over ssh, and it has to be set explicitly.

Note: I've been installing systems with non-root accounts and then setting them up with sudo and ssh keys for login. As a result, I personally don't see the root issue due to making sure it is locked off from ssh access. So, I'm out of the loop as regards root access being automatic; like, more than 10 years.
How do the server hosters manage that?

Well, if you are making a custom image, you have total control as the vendor. This means that as part of the installation, you can have your own version of each configuration file, including settings such as allowing root access over ssh.

Another way of thinking of it, someone makes the install iso images. If another person also makes an iso for that distro, they can make all the changes they want before producing the iso [such as software to install, configuration file defaults which may be radically different, all the way to compiling custom versions of software with extra features or features removed.]

For LXC Template images, you can configure a running system, then make a template from it: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/migrating-a-linux-install-into-a-proxmox-ve-lxc-container.57219/

Well, if you are making a custom image, you have total control as the vendor. This means that as part of the installation, you can have your own version of each configuration file, including settings such as allowing root access over ssh.

Another way of thinking of it, someone makes the install iso images. If another person also makes an iso for that distro, they can make all the changes they want before producing the iso [such as software to install, configuration file defaults which may be radically different, all the way to compiling custom versions of software with extra features or features removed.]

For LXC Template images, you can configure a running system, then make a template from it: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/migrating-a-linux-install-into-a-proxmox-ve-lxc-container.57219/
Somehow I'm too stupid to understand that xD

So I want to make my own template / image (I create a container with Debian 11 and set everything there, and how do I do it now that future containers can choose it?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!