[SOLVED] Proxmox VE 7.4-17 GUI Constantly Stops Responding in Microsoft Edge

Adam Smith

Feb 1, 2018
This does not happen in Firefox.

Windows 11 Pro, Edge both fully updated. Unsure how long this has been happening.

If I log into the GUI of my cluster, it does not matter which node, and navigate away from the tab for a few minutes, when I return to it the canvas will be white.

Sometimes I can wait and the GUI will render without further incident. If I do not wish to wait the indeterminant amount of time and refresh the page, I will get often get a "This page isn't responding" dialog.

Choosing [ Wait ] does not affect the outcome. Perhaps the dialog appears again or I am forced to refresh the page again.
Choosing [ Exit page ] brings me to a "This page is having a problem" message.

1710347320355.png

Clicking the [ Refresh ] button always successfully renders the page.

I have:
  • updated and restarted all nodes
  • cleared cache and cookies from all time in Edge
  • excluded the nodes from tracking prevention in Edge
  • disabled power and performance settings in Edge
  • switched between vertical and horizontal tabs
all to no effect.

I do not expect to get this resolved, but perhaps someone knows something else I should check. It might be a policy I set and have forgotten about. Maybe someone else is having a similar issue that developed recently and finds this. I hope it helps them.

Last edited:
Thank you for the suggestion. I always forget about Sandbox. I ran it there for about a half hour, came back to it, and had no problems.

Ran it in InPrivate session in daily environment and the GUI remained responsive.

I think you are on to something. I signed out of Edge, preserving my content, and reset my Edge profile settings (at edge://settings/reset), which disabled the two extensions to which my account has access (policy prevents manipulation of endpoint protection extension), among other things. This seems to have resolved the issue.

In summary:

The GUI behaved
  • in Firefox
  • in Edge on another device
  • in InPrivate session
  • in Windows Sandbox, Edge
  • after signing out of profile and edge://settings/reset
Thank you for prompting me in the right direction.

It was solved until this morning. Same symptoms. Microsoft Office updated during the night, but that was the only apparent change.

I noticed in Task Manager that Edge GPU was using a lot of resources, so I disabled acceleration and restarted. Still getting unresponsive page.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!