[SOLVED] Proxmox VE 7.4-17 cifs "storage cifs_vms is not online" - Found workaround. Bug or config issue?

Robstarusa

Renowned Member
Feb 19, 2009
Hi all,

This has been working for a while, however it's stopped working once I switch to domain authentication.

cifs_vms is on a truenas store also joined to the domain.

I recently recreated this smb share on freenas. This has disk images, isos, etc.

If I setup the share in Proxmox ve GUI and enter the domain, login, passsord, I can browse the shares. If I try to actually create it I get an error "storage is offline."

After doing some searching in the forum, I created the storage on the Proxmox VE host without the enabled box checked. Once I check it after creation to enable it, I get the? ? on the volume.

From the cli, I can run:

Code:
root@vm:/var/log# pvesm scan cifs <truenas_fqdn> --username LAN\\svc_cifs_vms --password <mypassword> | grep cifs_vms
cifs_vms         Cifs_VMS

So as you can see pvesm scan can see the share ok.

Not sure why I have the ? and am unable to use it in the GUI. I also changed, at the filesystem level for all files in that share, ownership to LAN\svc_cifs_vms

Anyone have any ideas?

Ok, I think I know what is happening, but I don't know why.

Here is the config of my storage:

root@vm:/mnt/pve# grep -A7 cifs_vms /etc/pve/storage.cfg cifs: cifs_vms path /mnt/pve/cifs_vms server stor.myfqdn.com share cifs_vms content backup,rootdir,vztmpl,iso,images,snippets domain LAN prune-backups keep-all=1 username svc_cifs_vms

However, the truenas core server is seeing the following request and returning an error.

[2023/11/25 18:13:13.803556, 0] ../../source3/smbd/service.c:904(make_connection_snum) make_connection_snum: canonicalize_connect_path failed for service cifs_vms, path /mnt/bulk/cifs_vms/svc_cifs_vms

Please note here that it appears Proxmox VE is sending the fileserver <sharename>/<username> rather than just <sharename> and I hve no idea why! That or I have something misconfigured (wouldn't be the first time).

Could this be a parsing problem of some sort with the username having a domain such as LAN\<username> ?

My temporary fix was to do this on the truenas server:

cd /mnt/bulk/cifs_vms ln -s . svc_cifs_vms

After doing this, since the path /mnt/bulk/cifs_vms/svc_cifs_vms now exists, proxmox is now happy.

My PVE version:

root@vm:/mnt/pve# pveversion -v proxmox-ve: 7.4-1 (running kernel: 5.15.126-1-pve) pve-manager: 7.4-17 (running version: 7.4-17/513c62be) pve-kernel-5.15: 7.4-8 pve-kernel-5.15.131-1-pve: 5.15.131-2 pve-kernel-5.15.126-1-pve: 5.15.126-1 pve-kernel-5.15.30-2-pve: 5.15.30-3 ceph-fuse: 15.2.16-pve1 corosync: 3.1.7-pve1 criu: 3.15-1+pve-1 glusterfs-client: 9.2-1 ifupdown2: 3.1.0-1+pmx4 ksm-control-daemon: 1.4-1 libjs-extjs: 7.0.0-1 libknet1: 1.24-pve2 libproxmox-acme-perl: 1.4.4 libproxmox-backup-qemu0: 1.3.1-1 libproxmox-rs-perl: 0.2.1 libpve-access-control: 7.4.1 libpve-apiclient-perl: 3.2-1 libpve-common-perl: 7.4-2 libpve-guest-common-perl: 4.2-4 libpve-http-server-perl: 4.2-3 libpve-rs-perl: 0.7.7 libpve-storage-perl: 7.4-3 libspice-server1: 0.14.3-2.1 lvm2: 2.03.11-2.1 lxc-pve: 5.0.2-2 lxcfs: 5.0.3-pve1 novnc-pve: 1.4.0-1 proxmox-backup-client: 2.4.4-1 proxmox-backup-file-restore: 2.4.4-1 proxmox-kernel-helper: 7.4-1 proxmox-mail-forward: 0.1.1-1 proxmox-mini-journalreader: 1.3-1 proxmox-offline-mirror-helper: 0.5.2 proxmox-widget-toolkit: 3.7.3 pve-cluster: 7.3-3 pve-container: 4.4-6 pve-docs: 7.4-2 pve-edk2-firmware: 3.20230228-4~bpo11+1 pve-firewall: 4.3-5 pve-firmware: 3.6-6 pve-ha-manager: 3.6.1 pve-i18n: 2.12-1 pve-qemu-kvm: 7.2.0-8 pve-xtermjs: 4.16.0-2 qemu-server: 7.4-4 smartmontools: 7.2-pve3 spiceterm: 3.2-2 swtpm: 0.8.0~bpo11+3 vncterm: 1.7-1 zfsutils-linux: 2.1.11-pve1

Last edited:
@fiona I know you helped another user with a cifs issue, any idea what the issue might be here? Is this a known defect fixed in 8.x ?

Hi,
for me, a similar configuration works just fine, also using libpve-storage-perl: 7.4-3
Code:
cifs: mysmb
    path /mnt/pve/mysmb
    server pve701
    share restricted
    domain WORKGROUP
    content rootdir,snippets,images,vztmpl,iso,backup
    prune-backups keep-all=1
    username smbuser

What version of TrueNAS are you using? Can you add the share from another host without the same issue?

Hi @fiona , thanks for taking the time to look into this!

I have multiple other machines that do not have this issue (windows/linux desktops mostly).

Truenas vesion is 13.0-U6.

Is your test machine domain joined & using a domain user as well?

Should I try without using fqdn & try to use short name? Is there anythign wrong with my username having _ characters that perhaps proxmox doesn't like?

I'm not sure exactly what code is doing the mount if you point me the right direction I might be able to look at the source go see what I can find.

Woudl a packet capture of the mount attempt help?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Is your test machine domain joined & using a domain user as well?
No, it is not.
Should I try without using fqdn & try to use short name? Is there anythign wrong with my username having _ characters that perhaps proxmox doesn't like?
Should not be, otherwise please let us know.
I'm not sure exactly what code is doing the mount if you point me the right direction I might be able to look at the source go see what I can find.
The code is here: https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-stor...=4059e94bfa3d6b10f6ad9ed680beda36f5ebbc04#l69 and I don't see a way it would append the user to the $source variable.
Woudl a packet capture of the mount attempt help?
Maybe, but I wouldn't know if that is readable for a human.

I had a look at the code & couldn't find anything obviously wrong. I reset all the filesystem permissions (truenas side), stripped ACLS, deleted & recreated the share & now it works....WEIRD.

Thanks for looking into this, but this looks like a truenas error.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!