Proxmox VE 6.3 problem with Intel X520-DA2

oxzhor

Nov 30, 2020
Hi All,

I install an fresh Proxmox VE 6.3 but have problem with my Intel X520-DA2 it keep spamming the follow see attachment.
Is this an know issue? and how i can solved it?

Thank you for your reply.

Attachments

• spamming.png
    spamming.png
    45.3 KB · Views: 85
Hi

Searching by that message leads to rather old issues on the ixgbe drivers. X520-DA2 are pretty old by now (but still very useful) so most issues should be ironed out by now. If used them in a couple of systems (not PVE though) and they are among the most stable cards, (when comparing the early and sometimes still weird issues I've encountered with X710 cards running old NVM firmware.

In contrast to more recent Intel NICs, the X520 had much less firmware code, but i.e. HPE did release a couple of firmware updates it is branded version of these cards (HPE i.e. 560FL and 560FLR) this might be worth a try. The cards have been branded by several server nanufacturers so you might have to identify the original vendor and then look for the firmware for that specific card.

If no firmware update is available, one person suggested in a bugreport, is to disable 'lro' as found here:

Hi

Searching by that message leads to rather old issues on the ixgbe drivers. X520-DA2 are pretty old by now (but still very useful) so most issues should be ironed out by now. If used them in a couple of systems (not PVE though) and they are among the most stable cards, (when comparing the early and sometimes still weird issues I've encountered with X710 cards running old NVM firmware.

In contrast to more recent Intel NICs, the X520 had much less firmware code, but i.e. HPE did release a couple of firmware updates it is branded version of these cards (HPE i.e. 560FL and 560FLR) this might be worth a try. The cards have been branded by several server nanufacturers so you might have to identify the original vendor and then look for the firmware for that specific card.

If no firmware update is available, one person suggested in a bugreport, is to disable 'lro' as found here:
Thank you for your reply.

Any dual 10G nic that work out of the box with proxmox on an dell r610?

Well, since you now mention that your server is a Dell R610 you might check out if your X520-DA2 is Dell branded and try installing the firmware update provided for Dell-branded cards for your R610. I'm not familiar with older iDRACs, newer ones can even install firmware updates for (Dell-branded) expansion components using the iDRAC web UI, so no dependency on the exact OS. Based on past experiences, and update for RHEL or SuSE might work under Proxmox, but YMMV.

Now for your later question: If you want both a 10G NIC supported with the R610, first look for the R610 technical guide where you can see a couple of supported options (from Dell's side). There seem to be other Broadcom/QLogic NetXtreme based cards. Try to find the exact switch chip and if you find reference for it working with Ubuntu LTS, you should be fine.

But again: Try the FW update first. On my end I've updated serveral HPE 560 cards to their latest verson and they did come with a mix of firware releases so at least after updating they got "all the same bugs" now.

Problem solved the Intel X520-DA2 oem card is broken.

I replace it with an new Intel X520-DA2 oem card and all works like an charm.

Thx for your replys @kofik

Reactions: kofik

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!