PROXMOX VE 6.3-1 kernel won't boot (iso install or after Debian PKG install)

JasperE

Mar 11, 2021
Hi there, aspiring proxmox user here.

I'm having a problem to get proxmox running on my system.

I've stripped it down to the following components, to prevent any unnecessary components from causing problems:
  • Mobo: MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 (AMD A75 / Hudson-D3 chipset)
  • Cpu: AMD A serie A4-5300 - 3.4 GHz - 2 cores
  • Mem: Corsair 4GB (memtested)
  • Samsung evo 250GB SSD.
Diagnosis:
  • If I try to install the lastest proxmox ISO (6.3-1 or 6.2-1) on it, the installer runs, gets to the menu where I can choose proxmox install, it finds the ISO, but then after the installer notifies me it has found the ISO the display goes black and system reboots. (Here's a screen recording). If I try adding the "nomodeset" boot parameter, the installation doesn't start and it opens a terminal instead of install procedure.

• If I run a much older Proxmox v5 installer, the installer completes succesfully (without nomodeset param), but the system won't boot and gets similar errors as described in booting the installer of v6 (Here's a screen recording of booting v5). If I then add the "nomodeset" boot parameter the system boots properly.

• I can install and run the latest debian buster version just fine. It boots and works. If in run the manual proxmox installer on it, the installer replaces the kernel and the system crashes on reboot. (Haven't tried adding nomodeset after the proxmox package install yet)

• I can run the latest ubuntu desktop version on it just fine, both in usb-live-mode and installed on the same SSD I want to install proxmox to. The GPU seems to work as everything on the display is crisp and very small on my 4k display.

So the system seems to work with other linux distro's but maybe has an issue with the proxmox kernel. Any ideas what could be going on?

What I already tried:
  • Adding the mce=off boot flag
  • Fiddling with BIOS options, clearing CMOS flash.
  • Disabling unnecessary devices in bios such as bluetooth and wifi adapter.

Last edited:
Yeah so my workaround for now was to install debian first, then install proxmox using these steps.
Post-pve-install and before-reboot open /etc/default/grub, add the nomodeset boot parameter, run update-grub, and reboot.
PVE6.3-1 will then run without the AMD gpu driver which seems to be causing all the problems in the 6.3 installer and default install.

By the way, debian only worked after install because my image did not install the non-free amd drivers/firmware. If I installed the firmware-amd-graphics package, debian also crashed on reboot without nomodeset. Just like PVE does. Ubuntu is probably using newer drivers or firmware which do work out of the box.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!