Proxmox VE 6.1 Installation failing with nomodeset \nInstallation aborted - unable to continue (type exit or CTRL+D to reboot)

ndroftheline

Jun 17, 2017
Hey all,

I have an old 2011 imac with a broken GPU, it's a common problem for this model and very difficult and expensive to repair, to the point that it's pointless. I use it as a testing proxmox node, and it has worked great for that for some time.

However because its' GPU is bad, I have to pass nomodeset on the kernel GRUB line. Now that Proxmox 6.0 and 6.1 appears to *require* native GPU functionality and VESA is disabled (? is that true?), I can't use the installer. I just wanted to add my voice to the chorus calling for reenabling VESA grapics modes in the installer.

At the very least, having more useful failure codes/messages would be great. I suspect you can replicate this behaviour simply by passing nomodeset on any machine - can someone confirm that?

Thanks,

~Micah

However because its' GPU is bad, I have to pass nomodeset on the kernel GRUB line. Now that Proxmox 6.0 and 6.1 appears to *require* native GPU functionality and VESA is disabled (? is that true?), I can't use the installer. I just wanted to add my voice to the chorus calling for reenabling VESA grapics modes in the installer.
I can't really recall, if it was ever explicitly set. But to have a workaround either use an older ISO and upgrade. Or go with an Debian Installation (can change the cmdline) and install Proxmox from there.
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#_install_proxmox_ve_on_debian

Yes, I performed the install using Debian. However it seems there are a number of users calling for the previous behaviours to return. Here's hoping they do :)

It does make me wonder how new versions of Proxmox will run on interesting hardware like, for example, older (or even current-generation?) Supermicros that have an extremely basic onboard video chip because the Xeons loaded into them don't have on-chip graphics packages.

Yes, I performed the install using Debian. However it seems there are a number of users calling for the previous behaviours to return. Here's hoping they do :)
You're welcome to add a issue to our bug tracker.
https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/

It does make me wonder how new versions of Proxmox will run on interesting hardware like, for example, older (or even current-generation?) Supermicros that have an extremely basic onboard video chip because the Xeons loaded into them don't have on-chip graphics packages.
Not that I heard of any issues so far. Current Supermicro server should work with our ISO (our test hardware did).

This is really sad news, as lots of server current still do not use any GPU, more than 90% of our servers just support VGA, now we can not install new version PVE directly.

Reactions: mow and fpol

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!