PROXMOX VE 5 install without cd with zfs (grub boot iso or zfs custom part ?!)

arno

Mar 1, 2018
france
Hello,

I'm studying how to migrate an old dedicated production server with a LAMP stack and a lot of websites.
After testing LXD and LXC on zfs, i found proxmox to fit my needs.

(i set 1 haproxy/fw container with 30 apache container and 3 mariadb container)
My goal to this migration is improving speed / security-isolation / easymanagment

I have tested proxmox on a bare-metal with 2 ssd at the hosting company Vultr with a software RAID-1 on ext4 pre-ready partitions and the following how to (install proxmox on debian stretch)

It works well but i saw that software raid 1 is not recommanded and i cannot use ZFS.
Vultr bare metal cannot boot on an ISO and i cannot mount a cdrom (bios is overrided)

So my last options are:
- Install proxmox VE 5.x from a grub boot with proxmox iso conf to have zfs setup partitions raid 1 and proxmox install (is it possible ? i don't know how)
- install proxmox on a raid-1 like i did and add one or two block storage that i will format in ZFS
- install a debian unformatted and make a zfs part scheme exactly like proxmox install and setup proxmox install with the how to (but zfsonlinux on github need a cd if i want to start the same scheme, i'm a noob on that)

What is the best solution ?

i would be glad if you can help me in the right direction

Arno

Reactions: stappers
I don't know if original poster has seen https..//git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-installer.git;a=summary

That git repository comes with proxinstall as programm. Inside are traces / signes of ZFS.
I don't know how it fits the need of O.P.

Thing that triggered me to respond in this thread is the install without CD

You can always install PVE inside of a local PVE with two (small virtual) disks with ZFS and then dd the two disks to the destination using a rescue system. Afterwards, you just boot up and use it. Best would be to do all configuration changes inside of the VM to really just dding the image and booting up.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!