Proxmox VE 5.4-1 defaults to 800x600

lindworm

Jan 19, 2019
on Supermicro via Java-Remote.

But obviously the install process was coded with 1024x768 or higher in mind. There is a reason why Debian still has a console install ...

Thank you, that you fixed the alt-gr-q problem with "@" while installing, but I was just able to install 5.4-1 because I knew "tab-tab" will bring me to the next screen. I wasn't able to see it.

Please implement a "console-install" or don't assume higher than 640x480 on graphic install.

on Supermicro via Java-Remote.

Cannot reproduce on a supermicro system with firmware revision: 03.65and bios 3.1, while we do not ship the "ast" xorg driver, X11 can fallback to modesetting, fbdev and vesa, which should support the quite common 1024x768 resolution just fine.

Can you tell me what fw/bios version you're using, and if the resolution mode setting worked with the 5.3 ISO? Because we change a bit in 5.4 - to support more common HW, and changes may always provoke regressions in some HW.

Please implement a "console-install"

This is on the TODO, but currently nobody got around actually doing it.

Also what "java viewer" do you use? I tested here with icedtea, tried both UEFI and legacy BIOS, too, works fine for me in 5.4. So it'd be interesting to get all those details to tackle that down..

You can also select the "debug" mode installation and then abort the graphical installer and look at
Code:
less /var/log/Xorg.0.log
if you see some errors, or hints..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!