Proxmox VE 5.3-1 iPXE is not working

VirtualDev

May 22, 2019
Can anyone had documentation on iPXE and Proxmox VE? I have install version 5.3 with default setting and created a linux VM which i am trying to PXE boot using iPXE but it get dhcp time out.

Do I need to create special configuration on Network of Proxmox and Bridge to use iPXE. We have static database of each VM, MAC address used for PXE.

Thanks!

Did you checked on the DHCP Server if the packets are visible on them?

There is no special configuration needed, on my setup it's work as expected.

We are suspecting that default Bridge setup for networking on proxmox ve host is not passing dhcp traffic so I just wanted to ask community if anyone else ran into this issue before we start troubleshooting further with tcpdump and other tools.

suspicion is no substitute for troubleshooting ;) and no, linux bridges dont interfere with dhcp or tftp traffic.

does a physical machine respond to the pxe directives on the same dhcp/pxe server combination?

I understand suspicion is no substitute for troubleshooting.
We do have ESXi box with VMs which are working with PXE which we are trying to replace with alternative hypervisor and looking in to proxmox instead of homebrew hypervisor with KVM.

So think of this is my first step in starting on troubleshooting and gathering information of default installation and post-deployment actions required.

Sorry for delay response due to long weekend.

DHCP Server is not on same host but reachable by the host and VMs with static network on linux OS.
No vlan as well we do not restrict pool of mac based on vendor.

I'll continue troubleshooting with tcpdump on host next.

Thanks everyone!
We figure out the issue. It is with our dhcp serve and how do we route PXE traffic. In this case, iPXE was sending traffic to wrong dhcp server.

Hi All,

In our infrastructure we have WDS and MDT when i create a virtual machin on hyper-v i can deploy the OS to the VM machines easlly however when i try to do same on PROXMOX it's not working i mean the VM machine on ProxMox gets an IP address from the DHCP but then i have this error message/ there is nothing to boot from is there a specail conffiguration so that the vm machines can find my WDS server? anyone can help me please.

Thanking you in advance for any help!

Attachments

• ProxMox-Error.png
    ProxMox-Error.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 10

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!