Proxmox VE 4.3 / Ceph Jewel

hacman

Renowned Member
Oct 11, 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Afternoon all,

I was just wondering if there is any news on the implementation of Ceph Jewel into Proxmox (previously stated as likely for 4.3).

I know there is quite a bit of work with this one, but would be interested to know how far off it's expected to be.

Incidentally - do we have any indication about how easily an existing Proxmox Ceph install will upgrade to Jewel, what with some of the more substantial changes in this release?

Quite interested to hear any thoughts!

Jon

still waiting for some issues to be resolved, among other things http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/16255

upgrading to jewel itself should not be a problem, if you change tunables to a more recent value expect the usual redistribution of data (but that is a manual step anyway, not done automatically by either ceph or PVE)

Makes sense! Thanks for the update. Is there a list of other issues that are currently acting as blocker?

Has anyone had experience of upgrading an existing install? I'm especially interested in how this fares with regards to the changes to BlueStore, as the improvements in performance that others have reported seem promising.

Jon

BlueStore, a new OSD backend, is included as an experimental feature. The plan is for it to become the default backend in the K or L release.

I think this will be left for manual tests, but not yet included in PVE's ceph integration GUI ;)

Makes sense! Thanks for the update. Is there a list of other issues that are currently acting as blocker?

Has anyone had experience of upgrading an existing install? I'm especially interested in how this fares with regards to the changes to BlueStore, as the improvements in performance that others have reported seem promising.

Jon

I have upgrade a running proxmox cluster with hammer to jewel without any problem.
I have upgrade first the librbd, migrate the vm to run on the librbd to be sure (but it should be backward compatible), then restart mons and after osds.

For bluestore, it's still experimental, don't expect to have it stable until next stable release.
(Upgrade don't change from filestore to bluestore, you need to reformat osd to bluestore if you want to test)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!