Proxmox VE 2.x - Why not "SCST Modules" not includes in kernel

greeneye

Apr 10, 2012
Hello,

@ Developers of Proxmox

why is the "SCST Modules" not includes in the kernel of the new Proxmox v2.x ??? In Proxmox v1 was it included.

Can you include it in the next update, please !

It did not compile last time I tried. I have no plans to include it again.

Hello Dietmar,

thanxs very much for your answer.

Have we a chance that you include it in near future, please ;) !?!

I need the "SCST Modules" to >> Tape Passthrough << from the Host to Guest.
I think i'm not the only one, how want to go this way as in Proxmox v1!
You see it on many Quest as:

http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/9620-Proxmox-2-1-and-tape-passthrough

http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/9223-Add-Tape-Drive-via-iSCSI-for-Windows-KVM

http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/6055-Guests-with-SCSI-Pass-Through-Tape-Drives-don-t-start-or-crash

old wiki! http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Tape_Drives

In a other Thread "http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/8108-iscsi-Configuration-problem" i discuss with "tom"
to connect the tape from host to guest as the way with a "Linux Remote Media Agent via Network"
He says that "scsi passthrough never worked for windows and he suggest to use a backup software which support remote media agents (connected on the host)."

I've different hardware and I want to connect direct as "SCSI Passthrough". I think this is essential and is faster as the connection about a network agents.

Is there no way to "SCSI Passthrough" ??? I hope you and the other Proxmox-Developers take it back on the plans and give us a good solution for a direct connection as "PCI / SCSI / Tape Passthrough"

Best regards,
Greeneye

Last edited:

Is there no way to "SCSI Passthrough" ??? I hope you and the other Proxmox-Developers take it back on the plans and give us a good solution for a direct connection as "PCI / SCSI / Tape Passthrough"

The new qrmu-kvm scsi driver seems to be able to do it - but I have not tested that so far.

http://wiki.qemu.org/Features/VirtioSCSI

You can use that new drivers if you add the following line to your VM config:

scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
scsi0: /path/to/the/device

But that is quite new, so please test and report back.

Maybe it is also possible to use the LIO modules (target_core_pscsi.ko), but I found no documentation for that.

The new qrmu-kvm scsi driver seems to be able to do it - but I have not tested that so far.

http://wiki.qemu.org/Features/VirtioSCSI

You can use that new drivers if you add the following line to your VM config:

scsi0: /path/to/the/device

But that is quite new, so please test and report back.

Dietmar,

I am having the same issue as greeneye. The suggestion you have provided does not appear to work either.

Code:
# pveversion -vpve-manager: 2.1-14 (pve-manager/2.1/f32f3f46)
running kernel: 2.6.32-14-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 2.1-74
pve-kernel-2.6.32-11-pve: 2.6.32-66
pve-kernel-2.6.32-14-pve: 2.6.32-74
lvm2: 2.02.95-1pve2
clvm: 2.02.95-1pve2
corosync-pve: 1.4.3-1
openais-pve: 1.1.4-2
libqb: 0.10.1-2
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.1.92-3
resource-agents-pve: 3.9.2-3
fence-agents-pve: 3.1.8-1
pve-cluster: 1.0-27
qemu-server: 2.0-49
pve-firmware: 1.0-18
libpve-common-perl: 1.0-30
libpve-access-control: 1.0-24
libpve-storage-perl: 2.0-31
vncterm: 1.0-3
vzctl: 3.0.30-2pve5
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.0.12-3
pve-qemu-kvm: 1.1-8
ksm-control-daemon: 1.1-1

# sg_map
/dev/sg0
/dev/sg1  /dev/sda
/dev/sg2  /dev/scd0
/dev/sg3  /dev/sdb
/dev/sg4  /dev/sdc
/dev/sg5  /dev/nst0

# cat /etc/pve/qemu-server/104.conf
bootdisk: virtio0
cores: 2
ide2: none,media=cdrom
memory: 1024
name: backup
net0: rtl8139=8A:7A:5E:65:23:BA,bridge=vmbr0,rate=5
onboot: 1
ostype: l26
sockets: 2
usb0: host=1-6
virtio0: local:104/vm-104-disk-1.vmdk,backup=no
virtio1: local:104/vm-104-disk-2.vmdk,backup=no
scsi0: /dev/sg5

# qm start 104
kvm: -drive file=/dev/sg5,if=none,id=drive-scsi0,aio=native,cache=none: could not open disk image /dev/sg5: Invalid argument
start failed: command '/usr/bin/kvm -id 104 -chardev 'socket,id=qmp,path=/var/run/qemu-server/104.qmp,server,nowait' -mon 'chardev=qmp,mode=control' -vnc unix:/var/run/qemu-server/104.vnc,x509,password -pidfile /var/run/qemu-server/104.pid -daemonize -readconfig /usr/share/qemu-server/pve-usb.cfg -device 'usb-tablet,bus=ehci.0,port=6' -device 'usb-host,hostbus=1,hostport=6' -name backup -smp 'sockets=2,cores=2' -nodefaults -boot 'menu=on' -vga cirrus -k en-us -drive 'file=/var/lib/vz/images/104/vm-104-disk-2.vmdk,if=none,id=drive-virtio1,aio=native' -device 'virtio-blk-pci,drive=drive-virtio1,id=virtio1,bus=pci.0,addr=0xb' -drive 'if=none,id=drive-ide2,media=cdrom,aio=native' -device 'ide-cd,bus=ide.1,unit=0,drive=drive-ide2,id=ide2,bootindex=200' -drive 'file=/var/lib/vz/images/104/vm-104-disk-1.vmdk,if=none,id=drive-virtio0,aio=native' -device 'virtio-blk-pci,drive=drive-virtio0,id=virtio0,bus=pci.0,addr=0xa,bootindex=101' -device 'virtio-scsi-pci,id=scsihw0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x5' -drive 'file=/dev/sg5,if=none,id=drive-scsi0,aio=native,cache=none' -device 'scsi-block,bus=scsihw0.0,channel=0,scsi-id=0,lun=0,drive=drive-scsi0,id=scsi0' -m 1024 -netdev 'type=tap,id=net0,ifname=tap104i0,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge' -device 'rtl8139,mac=8A:7A:5E:65:23:BA,netdev=net0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x12,id=net0,bootindex=300'' failed: exit code 1

Do you have any other suggestions to pass a tape drive through to the guest?

can you try with scsi-generic instead scsi-block ?

command line:
Code:
/usr/bin/kvm -id 104 -chardev socket,id=qmp,path=/var/run/qemu-server/104.qmp,server,nowait -mon chardev=qmp,mode=control -vnc unix:/var/run/qemu-server/104.vnc,x509,password -pidfile /var/run/qemu-server/104.pid -daemonize -readconfig /usr/share/qemu-server/pve-usb.cfg -device usb-tablet,bus=ehci.0,port=6 -device usb-host,hostbus=1,hostport=6 -name backup -smp sockets=2,cores=2 -nodefaults -boot menu=on -vga cirrus -k en-us -drive file=/var/lib/vz/images/104/vm-104-disk-2.vmdk,if=none,id=drive-virtio1,aio=native -device virtio-blk-pci,drive=drive-virtio1,id=virtio1,bus=pci.0,addr=0xb -drive if=none,id=drive-ide2,media=cdrom,aio=native -device ide-cd,bus=ide.1,unit=0,drive=drive-ide2,id=ide2,bootindex=200 -drive file=/var/lib/vz/images/104/vm-104-disk-1.vmdk,if=none,id=drive-virtio0,aio=native -device virtio-blk-pci,drive=drive-virtio0,id=virtio0,bus=pci.0,addr=0xa,bootindex=101 -device virtio-scsi-pci,id=scsihw0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x5 -drive file=/dev/sg5,if=none,id=drive-scsi0,aio=native,cache=none -device scsi-generic,bus=scsihw0.0,channel=0,scsi-id=0,lun=0,drive=drive-scsi0,id=scsi0 -m 1024 -netdev type=tap,id=net0,ifname=tap104i0,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge -device rtl8139,mac=8A:7A:5E:65:23:BA,netdev=net0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x12,id=net0,bootindex=300

can you try with scsi-generic instead scsi-block ?

command line:
Code:
/usr/bin/kvm -id 104 -chardev socket,id=qmp,path=/var/run/qemu-server/104.qmp,server,nowait -mon chardev=qmp,mode=control -vnc unix:/var/run/qemu-server/104.vnc,x509,password -pidfile /var/run/qemu-server/104.pid -daemonize -readconfig /usr/share/qemu-server/pve-usb.cfg -device usb-tablet,bus=ehci.0,port=6 -device usb-host,hostbus=1,hostport=6 -name backup -smp sockets=2,cores=2 -nodefaults -boot menu=on -vga cirrus -k en-us -drive file=/var/lib/vz/images/104/vm-104-disk-2.vmdk,if=none,id=drive-virtio1,aio=native -device virtio-blk-pci,drive=drive-virtio1,id=virtio1,bus=pci.0,addr=0xb -drive if=none,id=drive-ide2,media=cdrom,aio=native -device ide-cd,bus=ide.1,unit=0,drive=drive-ide2,id=ide2,bootindex=200 -drive file=/var/lib/vz/images/104/vm-104-disk-1.vmdk,if=none,id=drive-virtio0,aio=native -device virtio-blk-pci,drive=drive-virtio0,id=virtio0,bus=pci.0,addr=0xa,bootindex=101 -device virtio-scsi-pci,id=scsihw0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x5 -drive file=/dev/sg5,if=none,id=drive-scsi0,aio=native,cache=none -device scsi-generic,bus=scsihw0.0,channel=0,scsi-id=0,lun=0,drive=drive-scsi0,id=scsi0 -m 1024 -netdev type=tap,id=net0,ifname=tap104i0,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge -device rtl8139,mac=8A:7A:5E:65:23:BA,netdev=net0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x12,id=net0,bootindex=300

Ok. I'm back on this project again. They are pushing to have our backups pushed to tape.

I tried the command provided without any luck. I received the following error (the same error):
kvm: -drive file=/dev/sg5,if=none,id=drive-scsi0,aio=native,cache=none: could not open disk image /dev/sg5: Invalid argument

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!