Proxmox v4 Containers Questions

starnetwork

Renowned Member
Dec 8, 2009
Hi,
about Proxmox v4 long term vision / roadmap, just to know:
1. you will go leave OpenVZ or it's just temporary not supported?
2. LXC, it's supporting Bandwidth limit for each VM like KVM?
3. any general estimate for RC / GA Release?

Regards,

Hi,
about Proxmox v4 long term vision / roadmap, just to know:
1. you will go leave OpenVZ or it's just temporary not supported?
no more openvz
2. LXC, it's supporting Bandwidth limit for each VM like KVM?

not yet implemented, but it'll be done soon.

as LXC is new on Proxmox VE, experience is limited as its still beta and not yet feature complete. but one great feature is that is works with any modern kernel and is or will be fully integrated in the Proxmox VE storage plugins. also snapshots are already implemented.

the upcoming openvz will work only with a customized 3.10 kernel, management tools will not be ready/stable before 2016 - so compared to the upcoming openvz, lxc looks not that bad.

As long as Wheezy is old stable and as long as OpenVz patches the kernel.

I have some questions too :)

-LXC will be compatible with storage plugin => so ceph, lvm, zfs are OK to store LXC CT ?
- will it be possible to convert a CT to template, or to clone it ?
-will we be able to make linked clone with a CT ?

thanks bu advance for answers :)

amazing ! that's really good news for everybody i guess :)thanks for the answer :)so i can store my lxc CT on a directory right now and when lvm will be available a will be able to migrate or move ?

Yes you will able to move your CT to other storage types.

I would like to ask:

Is it possible to access directly to hard-disks of the host in a container ?
(I'm playing with a RAID5 created with OpenMediaVault in a Proxmox KVM, when i enter "fdisk -l" i see nothing i my container)
If its possible i will open a new Thread for some strange reactions of the system...

The Old Config for KVM:
root@host:/etc/pve/nodes/host/qemu-server# cat 101.conf
virtio2: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD40EFRX-68WT0N0_WD-WCC4E1SJA51R,size=3907018584K
virtio3: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD40EFRX-68WT0N0_WD-WCC4E6RKT37L,size=3907018584K
virtio4: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD40EFRX-68WT0N0_WD-WCC4E3NA1C0X,size=3907018584K
virtio5: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD40EFRX-68WT0N0_WD-WCC4E0AA8LS6,size=3907018584K

yes you can give LXC mount points, but this is not implemented in PVE4.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!