Proxmox V3.4-11 to V5.1

cm350

Jan 16, 2015
Hi Guys,

This weekend we migrated from proxmox v3.4-11 to version V5.1.

We backupped every machine, copied the qcow2 file(s) to our NAS (via NFS) and we reinstalled to V5.1.

We then restored the Linux machines via the restore tool in proxmox and we recreated the windows machines and coupled back the virtual drive(s). We copied them back to our SSD local storage and everything was fine & working.

Successfull migration!

But yesterday our firewall (pfsense) was doing weird (it lost connectivity on a network). We changed the state from on to off an back on again and everything was back ok.

Today our debian unifi controller does weird. It looks like it boots, but then we cannot get to it.

We will fix it offcourse, but my question is: Was it a good idea by restoring the Linux machines via the restore function in Proxmox?

Basically we advice the use of our integrated backup tool vzdump for such operations( you backup the VMs to an external storage, then restore them) , but copying the disk images should be fine too.

We noticed, backupping via the vzdump tool works perfectly for any VM. Except for windows. They somehow corrupt data while backupping online (v3.1). Especially with a SQL of Exchange server, it just went beserk :)

So i don't need to adjust anything in the virtual machine settings for v5.1?

Allright! Thx!

Stil having network problems on the pfsense(s) and having a new problem with a 2008R2 server. I'll create a new topic for this one, will create a topic with pfsense for the network problems (network adapters stop working after a while).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!