Proxmox v 5.0 on HPE Proliant DL380 Gen10

Hi!

Are these servers equipped with RADI-controllers? If yes, which ones?

Best regards,
Gosha

Specification: HP Itemno: 875669-425
HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen10 Silver 4114
1x32GB-R P408i-a/2GB 8SFF
DVD-RW 2x500W RPS Easy Install Rail Kit /TV
8 disks per server:
870753-B21 | SKU 4190914
2.5" SFF SAS 12Gb/s 15000 tpm
300 Gb
No seperate Raid controller ordered. So we are using the one HP ships with this server. Just wanted to test how Proxmox 5.2 would run on a standard G10 server. I used Proxmox since version 1.8.
Performance is like this:

Node1 cached reads 15454Mb in 2 seconds = 7745 Mb/s not cached 1408 Mb/s
Node2 cached reads 15422Mb in 2 seconds = 7729 Mb/s not cached 1396 Mb/s
1 network card for cluster file system 1 Gb!
1 network card for VM's and user interface Proxmox

Hope this helps. Will do performance test on Windows 2016 to see how this will run.

Wouter

Raid controller included in the server is:
HPE Smart Array P408i-a Controller

HP Description for this card:
The HPE Smart Array P408i-a SR Gen10 Controller, supporting 12 Gb/s SAS and PCIe 3.0, provides enterprise-class storage performance, reliability, security and efficiency needed to address your evolving data storage needs.

This controller has eight internal SAS lanes, allowing connection to SAS or SATA drives, supports Mixed Mode operations of RAID and HBA simultaneously, and offers encryption for data-at-rest on any drive. The Smart Array P408i-a SR Gen10 Controller is ideal for maximizing performance while supporting advanced RAID levels with 2 GB Flash-Backed Write Cache (FBWC). This type-a modular controller occupies a dedicated storage slot without occupying a PCIe expansion slot.

The Gen10 controllers are supported by the HPE Smart Storage Battery. The HPE Smart Storage Battery supports multiple devices and is sold separately. (Real important for cache settings in proxmox!)

Proxmox 5.2 (With 2 HP proliant Gen 10 Servers work without issues, will test performance, of the disks, cpu, network) Please ask any questions you might have. I can test stuff till the servers are in use.
I'm having stability issues on my Gen10. The VMs randomly stop responding to say, RDP, then I try to open them in novnc, I'll get an error "failed to run vncproxy" and then the VM stops. Not sure what to look at. My Proxmox installs on older servers have been rock solid.

Hi,

My cluster is running for over a year on gen10 and it is fine. I am on Proxmox 5.4-3, right now.
Perhaps you have migrated your VMs, from much older Proxmox versions and there are virtual HW incompatibilities?
My VMs, were created on the Gen10 cluster itself.

Sp

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!