Proxmox update from 7.2-4 GRUB update failure

Thanks to your testing feedback and the nature of the fix, which is quite targeted and contained, with a basically non-existent regression potential, we decided to fast track that fix. It should be available on all repos now.

can you explain to me how to do that patching the file /usr/sbin/grub-install ?

If it is easy, I will do it directly
It's not hard, check out the patch: https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-kern...ff;h=18a8d30651498aaf64d3a8aee1d759fb9a9147a3

You basically need to source a specific helper file, which is done with the dot command, so edit the file and add the following line bewlo the set -e command, almost at the top:

. /usr/share/pve-kernel-helper/scripts/functions

Reactions: flames
In my case i just did three things.
1. add repo into /etc/apt/sources.list: deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve bullseye pvetest
2. apt update && apt install pve-kernel-helper
3. grub-install.real /dev/sdX (replace sdX with your device where you have grub. in my case it was "grub-install.real /dev/sdq")
then reboot.

It's not hard, check out the patch: https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-kern...ff;h=18a8d30651498aaf64d3a8aee1d759fb9a9147a3

You basically need to source a specific helper file, which is done with the dot command, so edit the file and add the following line bewlo the set -e command, almost at the top:

If I nano this: /usr/share/pve-kernel-helper/scripts/functions I see this:

functions.png

Is this the correct place to edit and add this line?

after that, what to do?

Many many thanks for you quick responses !!! :)

Last edited:
If I nano this: /usr/share/pve-kernel-helper/scripts/functions I see this:

View attachment 41029

Is this the correct place to edit and add this line?

after that, what to do?

Many many thanks for you quick responses !!! :)
I don't think that's the right file. I did look into that git patch link which is above and that patch is for filename called grub-install-wrapper which should be part of pve-kernel-meta. I don't know where it should be exactly. Maybe someone other can tell you more.
Maybe somewhere in /tmp but i don't know.

Last edited:
/usr/sbin/grub-install

however, in doing so, the loop stil goes on. I pressed continue without grub install now

Last edited:
Reactions: genguser
OK, all good here now.
Steps I did

nano /usr/sbin/grub-install

changed

Code:
set -e

ESP_LIST="/etc/kernel/proxmox-boot-uuids"
to
Code:
set -e

ESP_LIST="/etc/kernel/proxmox-boot-uuids"

however, this did not seem to do anything so I selected "Continue without installing GRUB?" <YES>

After that, the update process continued and ended (seemingly normal).

For reference, this was the output of the original update (with loop in grub2 update)
CLI update text 1: Link

Directly when it was done i did a refresh of the updates, I saw two updates and ran those.
CLI update text 2: Link

Also those two updates ended normal now.

Reboot PVE

Came back normal. My ZFS volumes as normal

Attachments

• update 1.txt
    23.5 KB · Views: 26
  • update 2.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 8
When the kernel-helper update wasn't available yesterday, I upgraded and chose "update anyway" as grub-install complained about my ZFS/rpool it couldn't use. After that I manually did
grub-install.real /dev/sda grub-install.real /dev/sdb
so both of my Pool-Disks where affected.

I did not reboot afterwards.

Today I installed the pve-kernel-helper update and rebootet afterwards.

Worked for me!

FYI - this problem is not only PVE side, because last night maintenance it hit (semirandomly) about 5% VMs.

FYI - this problem is not only PVE side, because last night maintenance it hit (semirandomly) about 5% VMs.

this particular issue was present on Proxmox systems (theoretically all could be affected PVE, PBS, PMG, or for that matter any system that has pve-kernel-helper installed) - but if you ran into issues during an `apt dist-upgrade` on plain debian/ubuntu after the weekend I think it should not be related to this issue (if you post some logs of the issue we can maybe tell more)

Reactions: nontijt
To add an extra data point:
Just upgraded a physical pve server, installed from 6.4, no manual adjustments to proxmox-boot-tool, booted with legacy bios.
It's using pve-no-subscription repo, the upgrade included pve-kernel-helper: 7.2-12.
No issues, upgrade went fine. Thanks for the quick response.

Reactions: mr.x and nontijt
Thanks to your testing feedback and the nature of the fix, which is quite targeted and contained, with a basically non-existent regression potential, we decided to fast track that fix. It should be available on all repos now.
hello here Same problem
sorry but I'm not very experienced I try to summarize:

so if I understood correctly from your post it is no longer necessary to insert the test repo, can you keep it with the repo "pve no subscription" now?

So at the grub error you can click on "YES" and before rebooting I give the command "grub-install.real /dev/sdXXXXX" correct?

Code:
root@S1-web:~# lsblk -o NAME,MOUNTPOINT
NAME          MOUNTPOINT
nvme1n1      
├─nvme1n1p1   /boot/efi
├─nvme1n1p2  
│ └─md2       /boot
├─nvme1n1p3  
│ └─md3       /
├─nvme1n1p4   [SWAP]
└─nvme1n1p5  
  └─md5      
    └─vg-data /var/lib/vz
nvme0n1      
├─nvme0n1p1  
├─nvme0n1p2  
│ └─md2       /boot
├─nvme0n1p3  
│ └─md3       /
├─nvme0n1p4   [SWAP]
├─nvme0n1p5  
│ └─md5      
│   └─vg-data /var/lib/vz
└─nvme0n1p6

in my case I have a raid which is correct?
Code:
grub-install.real /dev/nvme1n1
Code:
grub-install.real /dev/nvme1n1p1
Code:
grub-install.real /dev/md2

thank you

Last edited:
so if I understood correctly from your post it is no longer necessary to insert the test repo, can you keep it with the repo "pve no subscription" now?
yes the fix is even in pve-enterprise by now.
So at the grub error you can click on "YES" and before rebooting I give the command "grub-install.real /dev/sdXXXXX" correct?
should work - sadly it's been quite a long while since I had to deal with mdraid (which Proxmox VE does not really support) - but from what I can remember - you want to run grub-install.real on /dev/nvme1n1 and /dev/nvme0n1 (the 2 blockdevices) and that should be all - however it shouldn't hurt to also run in on /dev/md2 - usually grub-install will tell you that it can't install itself there

as always - make sure you have a working and tested backup before those operations!

should you run into any issues - you can boot with a linux-livecd (or the pve-installer in debug mode (there change to the second debug-shell) and fix the boot-loader installation (google for the necessary commands - but https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Recover_From_Grub_Failure should be a good start (you will need to adapt to your nvme drives instead of /dev/sda...)

I hope this helps!

yes the fix is even in pve-enterprise by now.

should work - sadly it's been quite a long while since I had to deal with mdraid (which Proxmox VE does not really support) - but from what I can remember - you want to run grub-install.real on /dev/nvme1n1 and /dev/nvme0n1 (the 2 blockdevices) and that should be all - however it shouldn't hurt to also run in on /dev/md2 - usually grub-install will tell you that it can't install itself there

as always - make sure you have a working and tested backup before those operations!

should you run into any issues - you can boot with a linux-livecd (or the pve-installer in debug mode (there change to the second debug-shell) and fix the boot-loader installation (google for the necessary commands - but https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Recover_From_Grub_Failure should be a good start (you will need to adapt to your nvme drives instead of /dev/sda...)

I hope this helps!
Hello, I had the same problem.
I pressed 'YES' and after the update I entered the commands:
Code:
root@pve:~# grub-install.real /dev/sda
Installing for i386-pc platform.
Installation finished. No error reported.
root@pve:~# grub-install.real /dev/sdb
Installing for i386-pc platform.
Installation finished. No error reported.

However, there was still an error before the end of the update:

Code:
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.15.60-2-pve
Running hook script 'zz-proxmox-boot'..
Re-executing '/etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-proxmox-boot' in new private mount namespace..
Copying and configuring kernels on /dev/disk/by-uuid/85F8-7F41
        Copying kernel 5.13.19-2-pve
        Copying kernel 5.13.19-6-pve
        Copying kernel 5.15.35-3-pve
cp: error writing '/var/tmp/espmounts/85F8-7F41/initrd.img-5.15.35-3-pve': No space left on device
run-parts: /etc/initramfs/post-update.d//proxmox-boot-sync exited with return code 1
dpkg: error processing package initramfs-tools (--configure):
 installed initramfs-tools package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 pve-kernel-5.15.60-2-pve
 pve-kernel-5.15
 pve-kernel-5.15.35-3-pve
 initramfs-tools
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Your System is up-to-date

But why is no space for /var/tmp/espmounts/85F8-7F41/initrd.img-5.15.35-3-pve?
Code:
root@pve:~# df -h
Filesystem                       Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev                              32G     0   32G   0% /dev
tmpfs                            6.3G  1.6M  6.3G   1% /run
rpool/ROOT/pve-1                 2.1T  275G  1.9T  13% /
tmpfs                             32G   49M   32G   1% /dev/shm
tmpfs                            5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
rpool                            1.9T  128K  1.9T   1% /rpool
rpool/data                       1.9T  128K  1.9T   1% /rpool/data
rpool/ROOT                       1.9T  128K  1.9T   1% /rpool/ROOT
rpool/data/subvol-101-disk-0     600G   62G  539G  11% /rpool/data/subvol-101-disk-0
rpool/share                      6.4T  4.6T  1.9T  72% /rpool/share
nvmepool                         826G  128K  826G   1% /nvmepool
nvmepool/subvol-102-disk-1        60G   36G   25G  59% /nvmepool/subvol-102-disk-1
nvmepool/subvol-103-disk-0        20G  235M   20G   2% /nvmepool/subvol-103-disk-0
nvmepool/subvol-105-disk-0       1.0G  182M  843M  18% /nvmepool/subvol-105-disk-0
nvmepool/subvol-102-disk-0       2.0G   46M  2.0G   3% /nvmepool/subvol-102-disk-0
nvmepool/subvol-101-disk-0       2.0G  112M  1.9G   6% /nvmepool/subvol-101-disk-0
nvmepool/subvol-300-disk-0        16G  3.6G   13G  23% /nvmepool/subvol-300-disk-0
nvmepool/subvol-102-disk-2        30G  128K   30G   1% /nvmepool/subvol-102-disk-2
rpool/data/subvol-106-disk-0     1.0G  128M  897M  13% /rpool/data/subvol-106-disk-0
nvmepool/subvol-104-disk-0       2.0G  1.4G  646M  69% /nvmepool/subvol-104-disk-0
/dev/fuse                        128M   40K  128M   1% /etc/pve
tmpfs                            6.3G     0  6.3G   0% /run/user/0

Now I don't trust any reboot. This is a Hetzner Server PX where there is no access to a boot screen. I can only boot with network rescue system.

Ho can I check, that the grub installation is correct and the server will reboot without error?

The disk config:
disks.png

Best regards,
Peter

However, there was still an error before the end of the update:
seems you have too many kernels on your ESPs
try running:
* `apt autoremove`
* if this does not free up enough space - try removing a few pve-kernel packages manually (`pveversion -v` should give you a list)

if you still run into errors - post them here - along with the output of `proxmox-boot-tool kernel list`

seems you have too many kernels on your ESPs
try running:
* `apt autoremove`
* if this does not free up enough space - try removing a few pve-kernel packages manually (`pveversion -v` should give you a list)

if you still run into errors - post them here - along with the output of `proxmox-boot-tool kernel list`
The first apt autoremove want removed this, but the error remain:
Code:
root@pve:~# apt autoremove
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  pve-kernel-5.13.19-3-pve pve-kernel-5.15.35-3-pve pve-kernel-5.4 pve-kernel-5.4.157-1-pve
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 4 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
4 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 998 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 115254 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing pve-kernel-5.15.35-3-pve (5.15.35-6) ...
Examining /etc/kernel/postrm.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs-tools 5.15.35-3-pve /boot/vmlinuz-5.15.35-3-pve
update-initramfs: Deleting /boot/initrd.img-5.15.35-3-pve
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/proxmox-auto-removal 5.15.35-3-pve /boot/vmlinuz-5.15.35-3-pve
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-proxmox-boot 5.15.35-3-pve /boot/vmlinuz-5.15.35-3-pve
Re-executing '/etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-proxmox-boot' in new private mount namespace..
        Copying kernel 5.15.35-2-pve
        Copying kernel 5.15.60-2-pve
cp: error writing '/var/tmp/espmounts/85F8-7F41/vmlinuz-5.15.60-2-pve': No space left on device
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-proxmox-boot exited with return code 1
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postrm.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/pve-kernel-5.15.35-3-pve.postrm line 14.
dpkg: error processing package pve-kernel-5.15.35-3-pve (--remove):
 installed pve-kernel-5.15.35-3-pve package post-removal script subprocess returned error exit status 1
dpkg: too many errors, stopping
 pve-kernel-5.15.35-3-pve
Processing was halted because there were too many errors.
In the next call only want be REMOVED: pve-kernel-5.15.35-3-pve
Code:
root@pve:~# apt autoremove
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  pve-kernel-5.15.35-3-pve
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
4 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 379 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 108033 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing pve-kernel-5.15.35-3-pve (5.15.35-6) ...
Examining /etc/kernel/postrm.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs-tools 5.15.35-3-pve /boot/vmlinuz-5.15.35-3-pve
update-initramfs: Deleting /boot/initrd.img-5.15.35-3-pve
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/proxmox-auto-removal 5.15.35-3-pve /boot/vmlinuz-5.15.35-3-pve
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-proxmox-boot 5.15.35-3-pve /boot/vmlinuz-5.15.35-3-pve
Re-executing '/etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-proxmox-boot' in new private mount namespace..
        Copying kernel 5.15.35-2-pve
        Copying kernel 5.15.60-2-pve
cp: error writing '/var/tmp/espmounts/85F8-7F41/vmlinuz-5.15.60-2-pve': No space left on device
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-proxmox-boot exited with return code 1
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postrm.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/pve-kernel-5.15.35-3-pve.postrm line 14.
dpkg: error processing package pve-kernel-5.15.35-3-pve (--remove):
 installed pve-kernel-5.15.35-3-pve package post-removal script subprocess returned error exit status 1
dpkg: too many errors, stopping
 pve-kernel-5.15.35-3-pve
Processing was halted because there were too many errors.
Code:
root@pve:~# pveversion -v
proxmox-ve: 7.2-1 (running kernel: 5.13.19-2-pve)
pve-manager: 7.2-11 (running version: 7.2-11/b76d3178)
pve-kernel-helper: 7.2-13
pve-kernel-5.13: 7.1-9
pve-kernel-5.4: 6.4-11
pve-kernel-5.0: 6.0-11
pve-kernel-5.15.35-2-pve: 5.15.35-5
pve-kernel-5.15.35-1-pve: 5.15.35-3
pve-kernel-5.13.19-6-pve: 5.13.19-15
pve-kernel-5.13.19-3-pve: 5.13.19-7
pve-kernel-5.13.19-2-pve: 5.13.19-4
pve-kernel-5.4.157-1-pve: 5.4.157-1
pve-kernel-5.0.21-5-pve: 5.0.21-10
pve-kernel-5.0.15-1-pve: 5.0.15-1
The active kernel is:
root@pve:~# uname -r
5.13.19-2-pve

Code:
root@pve:~# proxmox-boot-tool kernel list
Manually selected kernels:
None.

Automatically selected kernels:
5.13.19-2-pve
5.13.19-6-pve
5.15.35-2-pve
5.15.60-2-pve
I tried also manually remove the kernel with
Code:
apt purge pve-kernel-5.0.15-1-pve
apt purge pve-kernel-5.0
apt purge pve-kernel-5.4.157-1-pve
but the same error occure and the kernel ist not removed.

That's a bit odd - since 512M should really be enough for 4 kernels...

* what's the output of `proxmox-boot-tool status` ?

I would suggest the following - mount each ESP listed in /etc/kernel/proxmox-boot-uuids somewhere and see where the diskspace is used:
* `mount /dev/disk-by-uuid/<UUID> /mnt/tmp` (the <UUID> is listed in /etc/kernel/proxmox-boot-uuids)
* du -smc /mnt/tmp/*

then clean it up - or resetup the esps using `proxmox-boot-tool format` and `proxmox-boot-tool init`

see the reference-documentation:
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-sysadmin.html#sysboot
and the following wiki-page:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/ZFS:_Switch_Legacy-Boot_to_Proxmox_Boot_Tool

I hope this helps!

Reactions: Peter_

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!