Proxmox Unable to Connect to TrueNAS iSCSI Target Using CHAP Authentication

cyberquarks

May 27, 2024
#### Problem Description:
I am experiencing persistent issues connecting my Proxmox server to a TrueNAS iSCSI target using CHAP authentication. Despite configuring both TrueNAS and Proxmox according to the documentation, the connection fails with an authentication error.

#### Environment Details:
- **Proxmox Version:** Proxmox VE 7.x
- **TrueNAS Version:** TrueNAS Scale (latest stable version)
- **Network Configuration:**
- Proxmox IP: `192.168.2.100`
- TrueNAS IP: `192.168.2.105`
- iSCSI Port: `3260`

#### Error Message:
```
iscsiadm: Could not log into all portals
root@pve:~# iscsiadm -m node -T iqn.2005-10.org.freenas.ctl:cassandra-db1 -p 192.168.2.105 --login
Logging in to [iface: default, target: iqn.2005-10.org.freenas.ctl:cassandra-db1, portal: 192.168.2.105,3260]
iscsiadm: initiator reported error (24 - iSCSI login failed due to authorization failure)
iscsiadm: Could not log into all portals
```

### TrueNAS Configuration:
1. **Global Configuration:**
- Base Name: `iqn.2005-10.org.freenas.ctl`
- iSCSI listen port: `3260`

2. **Portals:**
- Portal Group ID: `1`
- Listen: `0.0.0.0:3260`
- Discovery Auth Method: `CHAP`
- Discovery Auth Group: `1`

3. **Initiators Groups:**
- Group ID: `1`
- Initiators: `Allow all initiators`

4. **Authorized Access:**
- Group ID: `1`
- User: `cassandra`
- Peer User: (if applicable)
- Ensure the password for the `cassandra` user is correctly set.

5. **Targets:**
- Target Name: `cassandra-db1`
- Portal Group ID: `1` (cassandra-db1)
- Initiator Group ID: `1` (ALL Initiators Allowed)
- Authentication Method: `CHAP`
- Authentication Group Number: `1`

6. **Extents:**
- Extent Name: `cassandra-db1`
- Device/File: `zvol/oasis/cassandra-db1`
- Ensure it is enabled and properly configured.

7. **Associated Targets:**
- Target: `cassandra-db1`
- LUN ID: `0`
- Extent: `cassandra-db1`

### Proxmox Configuration:
1. **Storage Configuration:**
- Edit `/etc/pve/storage.cfg` to include the iSCSI storage entry with CHAP credentials:
```plaintext
iscsi: iscsi-cassandra-db1
portal 192.168.2.105
target iqn.2005-10.org.freenas.ctl:cassandra-db1
content none
nodes pve
username cassandra
password your_password
```

2. **iSCSI Initiator Settings:**
- Use the following commands to update the iSCSI initiator settings on Proxmox:
```bash
iscsiadm -m node -T iqn.2005-10.org.freenas.ctl:cassandra-db1 -p 192.168.2.105 --op update -n node.session.auth.authmethod -v CHAP
iscsiadm -m node -T iqn.2005-10.org.freenas.ctl:cassandra-db1 -p 192.168.2.105 --op update -n node.session.auth.username -v cassandra
iscsiadm -m node -T iqn.2005-10.org.freenas.ctl:cassandra-db1 -p 192.168.2.105 --op update -n node.session.auth.password -v your_password
iscsiadm -m node -T iqn.2005-10.org.freenas.ctl:cassandra-db1 -p 192.168.2.105 --login
```

3. **Verify iSCSI Initiator Name:**
- Ensure the initiator name on Proxmox matches what is allowed on TrueNAS:
```bash
cat /etc/iscsi/initiatorname.iscsi
```
- The content should be:
```plaintext
InitiatorName=iqn.1993-08.org.debian:01:f332ba64e9ee
```

### Troubleshooting Steps Taken:
1. Verified CHAP credentials on TrueNAS and Proxmox.
2. Ensured the iSCSI initiator name matches on both TrueNAS and Proxmox.
3. Confirmed network connectivity between Proxmox and TrueNAS using `nc -zv 192.168.2.105 3260`.
4. Restarted the iSCSI service on TrueNAS (`service ctld restart`).
5. Reviewed Proxmox logs for detailed errors using `journalctl -xe | grep iscsi` and `dmesg | grep iscsi`.

### Logs:
- **Proxmox Logs:**
```
May 28 01:06:45 pve iscsid[3336856]: Could not set session428 priority. READ/WRITE throughout and latency could be affected.
May 28 01:06:45 pve iscsid[3336856]: Login failed to authenticate with target iqn.2005-10.org.freenas.ctl:cassandra-db1
May 28 01:06:45 pve iscsid[3336856]: session 428 login rejected: Initiator failed authentication with target
May 28 01:06:45 pve iscsid[3336856]: Connection428:0 to [target: iqn.2005-10.org.freenas.ctl:cassandra-db1, portal: 192.168.2.105,3260] through [iface: default] is shutdown.
```

### Request for Help:
Despite following the steps mentioned, I am still unable to connect to the iSCSI target from Proxmox. Any insights or suggestions on what might be causing the authentication failure would be greatly appreciated.

### Additional Information:
If there are any specific details or configurations that I need to check, please let me know.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Hey,

does your password contain any special characters? Could you try a plain text one, does it work with that?

username cassandra
password your_password
If I am not mistaken, these are not PVE iSCSI storage pool/plugin options.
Proxmox iSCSI storage pools do not support CHAP authentication directly. You would need to modify your iscsid.conf file.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Last edited:
If I am not mistaken, these are not PVE iSCSI storage pool/plugin options.
Proxmox iSCSI storage pools to not support CHAP authentication directly. You would need to modify your iscsid.conf file.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
I have another iSCSI share without authentication and it works. If not having CHAP is not a security risk, I'm fine not having a password.

I have another iSCSI share without authentication and it works.
Thats because default iscsd.conf is CHAP'less

If not having CHAP is not a security risk, I'm fine not having a password.
That depends on your security view of the world. If it's your homelab, my guess is you can probably live without it...
Can CHAP save you if your network/host was compromised? Given that it's listed in plain text in standard Linux config, probably not.
Is it helpful to prevent human error when you have 10s/100s of targets/hosts? Sure.

It's up to you.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!