[SOLVED] Proxmox unable to boot from raw image

Efflixi

Apr 29, 2020
Proxmox version 6.3-3

Issue:
I have a .raw image that I made of a user's computer (windows 10). When I create a VM with this, proxmox will not boot it.

In Depth:
I have backup software (MSP360) on one of the user's computers here because they have programs installed that cannot be installed anywhere else. The backup software allows me to create disk images of the machine. I did this and made a VHD and a RAW image. After spending hours downloading the resulting images I've found that proxmox will not boot either of these.

The steps I use:
1. Backup user machine to VHD/RAW (I tried both)
2. Download image to my machine
3. Create new VM in proxmox
4. Delete the HDD that was specified in the VM creation
5. Import the disk into the VM with the following command: "qm importdisk 999 my_image.raw my_storage" (where 999 is the VM id)
6. Edit the config and make it an IDE drive
changing "unused0: my_storage:vm-999-disk-1"
to "ide0: my_storage:vm-999-disk-1"

After these steps the VM sees the drive and it's shows up in my storage, but it just hangs at "booting from hard disk". These steps are what was said to be done in the official guide. So am I missing something or am I doing it wrong?

Hello,

please check from the boot order - by going to Datacenter > Node > VM > Options > Boot Order and see if the disk was correct?

Please post the VM configuration qm config <VMID>

Yes, it is the correct boot order.

Text from config:
Code:
agent: 1
bootdisk: ide0
cores: 4
ide0: vm_storage:vm-310-disk-0,size=120G
ide2: none,media=cdrom
memory: 8192
name: userPC
net0: e1000=7E:8A:0A:79:2E:31,bridge=vmbr1
numa: 0
ostype: win10
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=447af2ef-5b04-47fb-9852-0a650904037c
sockets: 1
vmgenid: 899f568a-d735-4958-9a4a-bb0a257fead0

That is the exact guide I followed. I mentioned that in my first post.

The only errors related to my VM of 310 are related to the network boot that it tries after the hard drive. There is nothing else listed with any errors. It simply tries to boot and never does anything until I run the STOP command on the host.

For the record, I have also tried this (using the same steps as above) on a proxmox 5.2-1 server as well and got the same results. I don't have a 7.0 server setup to test with nor the hardware to do so.

I fixed it. For anyone who googles this issue...

It was UEFI messing up the boot. I exported the image without the UEFI (my software lets me strip it) and it boots fine in proxmox.

Reactions: salva and Moayad
Glad that you solve your issue by yourself :)

Please make your thread as [SOLVED] to help other people who have the same issue.

have a good day

I fixed it. For anyone who googles this issue...

It was UEFI messing up the boot. I exported the image without the UEFI (my software lets me strip it) and it boots fine in proxmox.
I am having same issue with a Roon disk that was a .img file
I am not familiar with what you meant by exporting the image without the UEFI - how would I do that
thank you

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!