Proxmox UI reports wrong memory usage

Nov 10, 2020
We have a few Linux vms (Debian Buster) where Proxmox is reporting way higher usage than what the vm IS using.

In the UI I get this:
93.96% (15.03 GiB of 16.00 GiB)

$ free -h
total used free shared buff/cache available
Mem: 15Gi 6.4Gi 642Mi 17Mi 8.6Gi 9.1Gi
Swap: 0B 0B 0B

So looking at this I still have 9.1Gi available. Its almost like the used reported is Used + buff/cache?

used (~6.4) + buf/cache (~8.6) = ~15
even if the vm says that there are 9.1 G available, it uses them as buffers and cache, which the layer above (pve) cannot know, it only sees the
memory used by the vm...

So I feel that is wrong since the buffer/cache memory is reclaimable for use by applications and not "used" but temporarily used. Looking at the UI now it looks like all of my VMs are bumping up against the read-line but in reality they still have a good amount of available memory.

Reactions: bleakczar

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!