[SOLVED] ProxMox Test Suite

dude20

May 3, 2020
Hello, dear forum members.

I've been using ProxMox for quite some time now, and tried to tinker with it and even modify several components (for example, I tried to replace the default kernel with a custom one).
However, I can't guarantee that each modification hasn't destroyed something (currently, my best testing method is to check if a VM starts or not, which is clearly not sufficient).
I'd like to know if there is a thorough test suite for ProxMox - something like the LTP (which is a test suite for the Linux kernel), but for the actual application.
If there isn't something official, I'd appreciate references to open-source stuff that relates to my question.
Otherwise, what do you guys suggest to do in order to thoroughly test a running custom ProxMox host? (How do the developers test it before they ship a release?)

Cheers!

Many packages for PVE have tests that are run on each build, for example pve-manager.

Many packages for PVE have tests that are run on each build, for example pve-manager.
Thank you for your reply, Dominic. I will check and use that package.

Additionally, can you refer me to a link where all of the relevant testing packages are located (if such a link exists)?
What I'd like to do is use all of them on a running ProxMox host to verify its integrity and correctness.
I aim to get a 'written proof' from the tests that the ProxMox host is working as it should.

I will check and use that package.
But note that those are only tests for the pve-manager package.

Additionally, can you refer me to a link where all of the relevant testing packages are located (if such a link exists)?
All packages that Proxmox VE consists of are available at https://git.proxmox.com and many times there is a test directory directory in the first level of each repository. That might catch if you change the source code of a package/repository and install it from there.

Unfortunately, a test suite that spans multiple packages does not exist. A test suite that clicks on a button in the GUI and verifies API interactions in the cluster or similar does not exist. So there actually is a lot of manual testing required.

On a side note, to be very precise this
I aim to get a 'written proof' from the tests that the ProxMox host is working as it should.
is not possible. You cannot prove the absence of bugs by tests. Dijkstra in 1969 might be one of the first sources for that. But you can also quickly google this and you'll find many arguments by smart people, for example other university professors.

But note that those are only tests for the pve-manager package.

All packages that Proxmox VE consists of are available at https://git.proxmox.com and many times there is a test directory directory in the first level of each repository. That might catch if you change the source code of a package/repository and install it from there.

Unfortunately, a test suite that spans multiple packages does not exist. A test suite that clicks on a button in the GUI and verifies API interactions in the cluster or similar does not exist. So there actually is a lot of manual testing required.

On a side note, to be very precise this

is not possible. You cannot prove the absence of bugs by tests. Dijkstra in 1969 might be one of the first sources for that. But you can also quickly google this and you'll find many arguments by smart people, for example other university professors.
Thank you for the clarification.
I'm aware that it isn't possible to prove the absence of bugs. Let me reformulate my intention:
I aim to use the tests to get my custom product as close as possible to the source in terms of workability.

I'd like to verify that I understand you correctly. My intention is to use the tests on the installed ProxMox host, not on the source.
I deduce from your points that such testing is only available manually, correct? and that had I changed the sources of the packages (which I currently did not do) I could test each one from within(because it may contain a testing directory)?

Reactions: Dominic
I deduce from your points that such testing is only available manually, correct?
There is no live test suite so to say. So yes, you have to check manually.

and that had I changed the sources of the packages (which I currently did not do) I could test each one from within(because it may contain a testing directory)?
Basically yes. For example, proxmox-widget-toolkit repository has no test directoy, but many others have one.

There is no live test suite so to say. So yes, you have to check manually.

Basically yes. For example, proxmox-widget-toolkit repository has no test directoy, but many others have one.
Thank you very much, Dominic.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!