Proxmox test drive failure in a mirror array

ieronymous

Apr 1, 2019
Hi again (I hope at some point I get an answer/thought to issues I m dealing with. Until now almost no answers - its like I have so pro-requests, or none here is eager to help because of my sooo roockie questions). Anyway here I go again:
I tried for testing purposes and before I switch on the proxmox machine remove one of the 2 mirror drives of my array ( created with zfs commands in cli mode). Thing is, proxmox booted ok, I was able to log in to the gui (ok expected) but no message anywhere that one of the drives is missing or faulty.
I ssh-ed to cli and there by typing zpool status I was able to see that the pool was deprecated because of the drive missing. Shoudn't promox gui give me a warning about that? Let's say it shoudln't and I buy another drive to replace the faulty one, put it inside and fire up the machine. What should I do for the new drive to be rebuilted (to start the rebuild process I mean).

Thank you

PS One mistake of mine was to create the mirror pool not by drive ids. I got lucky though since when I disconnected the 1tb sdb drive that naming went to the usb stick after next reboot and I was pretty sure that it will mess everything up since the rebuild process thought to be automatically and it would try to mirror a 1tb disk with 32gb usb stick (having now the name sdb which previously had the 1tb failrure disk) and would corrupt OS. Weird thing is when I re inserted the HDD sdb back it recognised as sdb again and usb stick as usb3 normally

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!