Proxmox subscription check time-out occurring regularly

Apr 27, 2020
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if they also experience the following error, which I have almost every month:
Error checking subscription: https://shop.proxmox.com/modules/servers/licensing/verify.php: Network Error: timed out reading response
Therefore updates are not coming in.
This is usually fixed by reissuing the license on the shop, but it takes a few days and therefore it is annoying to do so almost every month.
I have internet access and I can reach the Proxmox shop via the browser.

Hi,

does the subscription check start working instantly again when you activate the reissued license?
I have internet access and I can reach the Proxmox shop via the browser.
Can you also reach it from the server? Do you have any firewall rules in place?

Hi,

does the subscription check start working instantly again when you activate the reissued license?

Can you also reach it from the server? Do you have any firewall rules in place?
No, it doesn't.
When I run the CLI command "pvesubscription update" it gives the time-out. Also when rerunning a few minutes after reissuing the subscription on the shop.
Today I rerun this command approximately 1 hour after reissuing the subscription, and then it worked again and Proxmox notices I have a valid subscription. Last month it took a few days.
I can run the command from the proxmox-shell (CLI) but also from the GUI.

Last edited:
That sounds strange. Is the license endpoint really the only place where your server has connectivity problems? Again, do you have any firewall rules in place?

That sounds strange. Is the license endpoint really the only place where your server has connectivity problems? Again, do you have any firewall rules in place?
Yes, this is the only connectivity problem I have. And it does not occur always, so a firewall rules should have blocked it always.
It is now 3 weeks later, and again my subscription is "invalid". :(

Do you have multiple/different gateways or dns on your proxmox host? If not, can you ping this ip from your proxmox host, when this happens?

What does netstat -rn say? Is the first entry the correct ip?

Another wild guess: Is the date/time and timezone correct on the host?

Last edited:
SSL inspectors love to mess with proxmox subscription checks.

I have many server inhouse and out in the field with no issues.

Definitely on your end.

Can you check if it tries to connect via IPv6?
We've had cases like this where a broken IPv6 setup is at fault.

With the switch from the Perl implementation to Rust, it either tries IPv6 if it is configured or IPv4 if not.

Can you check if it tries to connect via IPv6?
We've had cases like this where a broken IPv6 setup is at fault.

With the switch from the Perl implementation to Rust, it either tries IPv6 if it is configured or IPv4 if not.
How can I check?

By the way today it occurred again. After a reboot of the Proxmox server, everything was OK again.

Is there any IPv6 address configured on any of the interfaces? ip address show
Is there an IPv6 address configured in /etc/hosts?

If you resolve `shop.proxmox.com`, which IP do you see?

Is there any IPv6 address configured on any of the interfaces? ip address show
Is there an IPv6 address configured in /etc/hosts?

If you resolve `shop.proxmox.com`, which IP do you see?
Hi Mira, as it occurred again today I checked. Indeed the ping wanted to go to a IPv6 address, which did not succeed.
I removed (commented in fact with #) the standard ipv6 entries in /etc/hosts and rebooted the machine.
Pinging now worked with ipv4.
Is this all there is to it or do I have to edit something else as well to prevent an interface using IPv6?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!