Proxmox Start/Shutdown order

Ahmet Bas

Aug 3, 2018
In Proxmox you can use VM -> Options -> Start/Shutdown order we you can configure the following values:
Bash:
Start/Shutdown order:
Startup delay:
Shutdown timeout:

We have three VMs:
  • VM 100
  • VM 200
  • VM 300
The shutdown should be done from VM 300, VM 200, and VM 100 and when it starts it should start from VM 100, VM 200, and VM 300. We have configured the following config:

VM 100
Bash:
Start/Shutdown order: any
Startup delay: default
Shutdown timeout:120

VM 200
Bash:
Startup delay: 60
Shutdown timeout:60

VM 300
Bash:
Startup delay: 120
Shutdown timeout:0

When we start the VMs VM 100 gets started and before VM 200 is started VM 300 is started. How can we prevent VM 300 from getting started before VM 200? Is there a config error?

The shutdown should be done from VM 300, VM 200, and VM 100 and when it starts it should start from VM 100, VM 200, and VM 300. We have configured the following config:
PVE will start VMs in ascending start order and stop VMs in decending start order.

Start order=1 and startup delay=60 for VM100.
Start order=2 and startup delay=60 for VM200.
Start order=3 and startup delay=0 for VM300.

Then VM100 will start first and shotdown last. VM200 will be started 60 seconds later after VM100. VM300 will be started last, 60 seconds after VM200, so 120 seconds after VM100, and will be shutdown first.

Last edited:
PVE will start VMs in ascending start order and stop VMs in decending start order.

Start order=1 and startup delay=60 for VM100.
Start order=2 and startup delay=60 for VM200.
Start order=3 and startup delay=0 for VM300.

Then VM100 will start first and shotdown last. VM200 will be started 60 seconds later after VM100. VM300 will be started last, 60 seconds after VM200, so 120 seconds after VM100, and will be shutdown first.
But VM 300 should be turned of first then VM 200 and VM 100 should be turned off last in order ? But if I change the "Start/Shutdown order: 1" will VM 100 not be turned off first due to the start/shutdown order?

N
But VM 300 should be turned of first then VM 200 and VM 100 should be turned off last in order ? But if I change the "Start/Shutdown order: 1" will VM 100 not be turned off first due to the start/shutdown order?
No, like I already said. Shutdown order is the reverse of the start order. So VM100 will start first but shutdown last and VM300 will shutdown first. und start last. Start order is "Start Order" from low to high. Shutdown order is "Start Order" from high to low.

Last edited:
Reactions: gseeley
and i suppose if start/shutdown order is empty (any) it means '0', all of them starts first, then 1..2.. and so on?
or i need explicitly point order 1 and 2..3.. for the others if i want to run chain of VMs?

and i suppose if start/shutdown order is empty (any) it means '0', all of them starts first, then 1..2.. and so on?
or i need explicitly point order 1 and 2..3.. for the others if i want to run chain of VMs?
Is not set, they start last and shutdown first. If you want a particular chain between certain VMs, number them explicitly (but that may not give enough time and you might need delay as well). All VMs with the same number (or no number) start and shut down simultaneously ((in batches of the number of workers).

Reactions: Dunuin
If you don't set a start order for a VM it will be started last and be shut down first.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!