Proxmox start / restart command?

lps90

May 21, 2020
Hi guys

I'm sorry for the stupid question, but i have searched a lot and i cant find..
What is the command to start / restart proxmox?

Thanks
Regards

Restart the server itself?
You can either do that via the GUI (top right if the server itself is selected in the tree list on the left) or with reboot or systemctl reboot

Not the server..
Like i said, i want a command to start / restart proxmox.

I dont have access to web gui (soyoustart geral problem).
Soyoustart machines are with problems with their Proxmox 6 templates.
You install Proxmox 6 in your machine, restart the machine and Proxmox is not starting cause
the /etc/hosts file is not properly configured (it is automatically edited everytime the server machine is restarted).
This is happening with all soyoustart new machines (not old ones).

Thats why i need a command to start Proxmox everytime i start the machine and edit the /etc/hosts xD

P.S. Soyoustart is informed but not solving the problem!
I called them and they said that the unix team is not even answering them since last week LOOOl
I bought 3 dedicated servers, i will wait 1 week for the solution, if they do not solve the problem,
i'll ask the refund like they told me..

Last edited:
Maybe restarting the service daemons helps. You can also run systemctl status <daemon> to pin down the issue. Concerning /etc/hosts I think that changes to it take effect immediately.

Following up with a similiar issue. I've stopped the webgui at some point in the past and now want to restart it.

I tried:

systemctl start pveproxy

but get in the logs:

pveproxy.service - PVE API Proxy Server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/pveproxy.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2020-06-08 04:34:38 CEST; 18s ago
Process: 13141 ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/pvecm updatecerts --silent (code=exited, status=22)
Process: 13142 ExecStart=/usr/bin/pveproxy start (code=exited, status=255/EXCEPTION)

Jun 08 04:34:38 Proxmox-VE systemd[1]: pveproxy.service: Service RestartSec=100ms expired, scheduling restart.
Jun 08 04:34:38 Proxmox-VE systemd[1]: pveproxy.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
Jun 08 04:34:38 Proxmox-VE systemd[1]: Stopped PVE API Proxy Server.
Jun 08 04:34:38 Proxmox-VE systemd[1]: pveproxy.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Jun 08 04:34:38 Proxmox-VE systemd[1]: pveproxy.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jun 08 04:34:38 Proxmox-VE systemd[1]: Failed to start PVE API Proxy Server.

Following up with a similiar issue. I've stopped the webgui at some point in the past and now want to restart it.
Please don't take over another thread but create your own so issues don't intertwine and thus making a clear discussions hard to follow :)

Reactions: Roopee
Sorry, I thought I was being a "good" forum member by NOT starting a new thread for which an existing very similiar thread existed. The most logical subject for my new thread will be "Proxmox start / restart command?" which is the same title as this thread. I specifically made sure I searched the forum before making a new thread.

Sorry, I thought I was being a "good" forum member by NOT starting a new thread for which an existing very similiar thread existed. The most logical subject for my new thread will be "Proxmox start / restart command?" which is the same title as this thread. I specifically made sure I searched the forum before making a new thread.
I see why you did that and I know that a lot of forums work that way. But dealing in parallel with multiple similar sounding problems in the same thread can get messy quite quickly as in many cases the root cause is different. Should an answer be found in another ongoing thread it can be easily referenced.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!