Proxmox Speed

Donald L

Aug 2, 2017
Can anyone tell if running a virtual machine via Proxmox from a dedicated machine is substantially faster or better than using virtualization software like VM Ware, Parallels, Virtual Box, etc? Thanks!

You can install Proxmox VE for free and perform benchmarks on your hardware. The performance will be exactly the same when you get a subscription.

I think you are misunderstanding my question. I am not asking about a subscription. I asked whether Proxmox is any speedier than using Virtualization (VMWare, Parallels, etc) on a machine with an OS such as Mac or Windows?

VMWare on Windows and Parallels on Mac are intended to run on desktops.
Proxmox VE is inteded to run on (clusters of) servers, more like VMWare ESXi or Citrix XenServer.
You can use the full version of Proxmox VE for free and it is compatible with many machines because of the underlying Debian Linux.

I/O is probably faster, but (3D) graphics is probably slower, so it depends on what you intend to use it for.
My personal opinion is that it is substantially better, but please install it and test it for your specific use case(s).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!