Proxmox shows high memory but the operating system is not using memory.

adarguner

Jan 26, 2024
Dear Friends,

I have a problem proxmox memory problem. Promox VM shows high memory usage. But the operating system shows low memory. This is not normal because the Operating system does not use it at all.

The problem image is as follows. Other virtual machines do not have this problem. How can I fix this problem?

Thank you

Regards

proxmox_highMemory_OS_lowMemory.png

Any PCI passthrough in use?
That Windows isn't using the RAM doesn't mean that is not in use by the VM. Once RAM got allocated and used its hard to remove it again without ballooning. If you run htop on the PVE host it will probably tell you that the kvm process virtualizing that VM is using those 15GiB or even more. Don't forget the virtualization overhead. Assigning 16GiB to a VM doesn't mean it will max at 16GiB. The whole VM could consume 17 or 18 GiB of physical memory.

Last edited:
This will only fix what the webuI will show you. It won't fix that the VM is actually consuming 15GiB of RAM while lying to you its only using 1.1GiB ;)

I think you are right. I still see it consuming on the home screen. So what is the solution? I really just installed the operating system and there is nothing on it to fill the memory. This is bullshit.

If it uses memory in this way, there will be no resources left for other virtual servers.

proxmox_highMemory_OS_lowMemory2.png

This is bullshit.

Ram is the limited resource. (Other resources like the space on disks and the number of CPUs can get overcommited by a high factor. Ram cannot. At least not much.)

So the honest recommendation is to give a VM as much Ram as it needs to have. Not more. The sum of all assigned Ram needs to stay several GB below the physically available Ram, depending on other factors like active filesystems.

A possible helper is the ballooning concept: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Dynamic_Memory_Management#Ballooning. It will force-pull Ram back from a VM. If that Ram is actually used by a "real" process inside of that VM a random application might crash. This concept made problems in the past and I would recommend not to use it.

Good luck!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!