Proxmox Setup with FaultTolerance for Zero Downtime

spuschmann

Mar 9, 2016
Hi Guys,

i'm planning to setup an Proxmox VE Cluster with 2 Nodes. These two Nodes need to run in a Fault-Tolerant Cluster - meaning that there will be no Downtime when one Node is Broken (Hard or Software).

On this Cluster will run an Loadbalancer and at the beginning 4 StrongSwan IPSec VPN Servers. All the Data will take place on an external HA-Storage.

Is this Setup possible with Proxmox? Or do you have any other Recommendation? The Point is that Re-Negotiating the IPSec Connection on a Server-Fault is no option because it takes too much Time.

Thank you for your Answers.

Sven

I've searched the whole Board ... if you have found a thread for this pleas link to it.

And: Is an 3-Node Cluster possible with Zero-Downtime in Fault-Case?

Thats what i've found too, but my minor Problem is "Zero Downtime" ... we will run IPSec Servers on this Cluster and the takeover have to be done without reconnecting.

In one Sentence: Establishing a new SA or IPSec Connection is not a way to go for us.

And i could not find an Answer for this Question.

Hi,

Proxmox VE does not support Fault-Tolerant.

your best bet would be to implement it yourself, using two or more KVM virtual machines and threating them as physicals. Then use proxmox to migrate those KVM on physical nodes and abstract yourself from the underlying hardware.

This is how I'm doing it and works treats.

Thats what i've found too, but my minor Problem is "Zero Downtime" ... we will run IPSec Servers on this Cluster and the takeover have to be done without reconnecting.

In one Sentence: Establishing a new SA or IPSec Connection is not a way to go for us.
/QUOTE]

Zero Downtime and takeover without reconnecting is often expensive. Are you talking like an IPSec VPN, like the Cisco VPN (or openconnect, openVPN, etc?)

your best bet would be to implement it yourself, using two or more KVM virtual machines and threating them as physicals. Then use proxmox to migrate those KVM on physical nodes and abstract yourself from the underlying hardware.

This is how I'm doing it and works treats.
can explain on this workaround

This feature will not come soon.
And it is already not totally stable.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!