Proxmox Setup on C2750

Fr0ggynator

Jan 31, 2014
Hello everybody,

I've been playing around with the idea of building myself a home server for virtualization. The server should host several VMs described below:

VM 1: Storage / Samba Server
VM 2: Zimbra Collaboration Suite
VM 3: Plex-Server
VM 4: VPN-Server
VM 5: BitTorrent Sync (might be included in VM1)

Roughly 6 people will use the server but I think a maximum of 3 streams need to be trancoded on the fly by plex.

I thought about the following hardware:

Mainboard and CPU: Supermicro A1SAi - 2750F
RAM: 8GB ECC SO-DIMM
Case and PSU: Supermicro 504-203B
Hard-Drive: WD Red 2TB 3,5" already there (a 2nd might be added in future)

So far I wanted to use the internal USB Port to have a 64Gb USB 3.0 Flash Drive conneceted to it. On this flash dirve I would install Proxmox and mount the Hard drives via fstab. All the VMs shouldn't need too much disk space that's why i thought about saving each OS-VHD on the flsh drive. Samba will have a data VHD savec on the WD Red and Plex will transcode media saved within the Storage VM and access it via a network share. The Zimbra-VM might get a bit more space on the Flash Drive and a regular "backup" to the Samba-Storage. The idea behind this is that the disk can spin down when they are not in use and only the USB flash drive will draw power.

Unfortunately I'm quite new to this topic - played around with proxmox before but didn't find the time to continue. Do you think this is a reasonable setup? Are there any major bottlenecks? Anything you would change or give me on my way?

Thanks very much in advance.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!