[SOLVED] ProxMox setup failed (NVIDIA GPU)

If you have something else on the drive ... I am a bit worried it adds additional complexity troubleshooting this. I mean, if there's yet another OS, you have to have them both EFI, etc.

If it's just storage, that's okay, but if there's another OS, be aware you may deem it completely unbootable by all these we have been doing now.

If you have something else on the drive ... I am a bit worried it adds additional complexity troubleshooting this. I mean, if there's yet another OS, you have to have them both EFI, etc.

If it's just storage, that's okay, but if there's another OS, be aware you may deem it completely unbootable by all these we have been doing now.
There isnt any other os. Just an empty partions.

ill give it a shot with the resetted bios

From the information provided so far, I can only guess (and this has nothing to do with the graphics driver issue) that you were installing it when the installer assumed it's UEFI system, but then after reboot it was trying to Legacy boot instead (or even the other way around). I assume your partition table is GPT and some older BIOS systems assume it would be EFI install, but maybe installer BIOS booted.

Your problem is basically to make it boot. If you set it to EFI only, it will make it clear it has to install as EFI and will only look for EFI systems to boot. That should work (with the Secure boot off). If not, then installing plain Debian might be a better choice and then add PVE on top. It is also possible to "repair" the install, but I think it's just adding more confusion.

That all assumes there's nothing wrong with your partition table / layout.

Note: Do NOT install it as ZFS because it's harder to troubleshoot. You can always add ZFS pool for VMs later if you wanted (but not a great idea for that SSD's health).

Your problem is basically to make it boot. If you set it to EFI only, it will make it clear it has to install as EFI and will only look for EFI systems to boot. That should work (with the Secure boot off). If not, then installing plain Debian might be a better choice and then add PVE on top. It is also possible to "repair" the install, but I think it's just adding more confusion.
I dont know what the booting issue was: Secure Boot of or only UEFI.

Debian might be a better choice and then add PVE on top
That would be my try for tomorrow. I have to go to sleep now.

Yes but I would recommend only setting the "minimum free LVM space". And leave the rest to the installer. Within the Logical Volume Manager, you can then create data partitions all you want (manually, it's quite simple actually).

But anyways let me try this tomorrow, thanks for ur help to a noobie <3

You're welcome.

I dont know what the booting issue was: Secure Boot of or only UEFI.

Neither should have bricked your EFI, but who knows what else was set there - there are certain settings where you don't even have enough time to press the DEL key because it's meant to assist fast boot (literally the name of the feature). But definitely have the Secure Boot off (it's shoved under the Windows menu according to the guide).

That would be my try for tomorrow. I have to go to sleep now.

Cheers!

Btw a couple of things from your guide:

It says the whole Windows WHQL is Disabled by default and the Secure Boot submenu should only show up if you select it. I believe you can leave the WHQL disabled and that will imply the Secure Boot is off.

ss1.png

However, you (at least to simplify the troubleshooting) have to enable UEFI only boot and it does not say if it does not e.g. automatically enable the Windows (w/Secure Boot) menu, so be sure that does not happen.

ss2.png

I would also "enable" POST (by disabling splash screen) messages so you can see what's actually happening:

ss4.png

And in case you plan having fun all over again, it might be wise to use this option to avoid having to jumper clear the CMOS every time you cannot boot.

ss3.png

Last edited:
Btw a couple of things from your guide:

It says the whole Windows WHQL is Disabled by default and the Secure Boot submenu should only show up if you select it. I believe you can leave the WHQL disabled and that will imply the Secure Boot is off.

View attachment 72524

However, you (at least to simplify the troubleshooting) have to enable UEFI only boot and it does not say if it does not e.g. automatically enable the Windows (w/Secure Boot) menu, so be sure that does not happen.

View attachment 72525

I would also "enable" POST (by disabling splash screen) messages so you can see what's actually happening:

View attachment 72527

And in case you plan having fun all over again, it might be wise to use this option to avoid having to jumper clear the CMOS every time you cannot boot.

View attachment 72526
So hey im back, i did apply all you suggestions and will start a install. Wish me luck.

Reactions: esi_y
Hey @esi_y I got a stressful day at work so I tryed your suggestions: Same issue like yesterday, no boot not even to the EFI. So I have to keep those standard settings to boot.

Hey @esi_y I got a stressful day at work so I tryed your suggestions: Same issue like yesterday, no boot not even to the EFI. So I have to keep those standard settings to boot.

Hey, no worries. I think you definitely ended up with an installed system (and believe in EFI mode), but it simply can't boot it for you. The next I would do would be to boot off LIVE Debian:

I will just add a link here in case you later need the LIVE Debian, for the correct (with no UI) link for your NVIDIA system:

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-c...-hybrid/debian-live-12.6.0-amd64-standard.iso

It would be like booting an installer, but would give you a running Debian and you can then provide outputs from commands like:

Code:
lsblk -f
fdisk -l
efibootmgr

You might want to leave it for another day, as there would be a bit of back and forth depending on the output.

Okay @esi_y look. ProxMox booted successful, I can use everythink, after I added the "nomodeset" parameter in the boot menu first. (There if you aren't pressing something it automaticlly boot.

You got me? Im so done today haha sorry

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!