[SOLVED] ProxMox setup failed (NVIDIA GPU)

EinKilian

Aug 6, 2024
A few days ago, I installed ProxMox on an old PC of mine with an M2 SSD. I thought it was running very slowly, so I decided to format the hard drive. Everything went well, and it worked.

But now, ProxMox no longer recognizes this SSD. When I perform a Windows installation, it is recognized without any errors.

Here are a few error codes. After that „error codes“ it goes to a black screen and stays at that. How can I fix this?

Attachments

• IMG_2726.png
    IMG_2726.png
    899.9 KB · Views: 23
Now my question is, how can I restore this SSD so that ProxMox can perform the installation?

Thanks to everyone who is tryinf to help me!

old PC of mine with an M2 SSD. I thought it was running very slowly

It is generally a bad idea to install PVE on (I assume) old M2 SSD. It is basically going to destroy it if it has not already.

When I perform a Windows installation, it is recognized without any errors.

Does it actually work or you stopped at the installer being able to see the drive?

Now my question is, how can I restore this SSD so that ProxMox can perform the installation?

You would be best to first e.g. live boot from another media and check what SMART values say on that SSD. But be prepared that PVE will by shredding it with copious writes.

It is generally a bad idea to install PVE on (I assume) old M2 SSD. It is basically going to destroy it if it has not already.

Does it actually work or you stopped at the installer being able to see the drive?

You would be best to first e.g. live boot from another media and check what SMART values say on that SSD. But be prepared that PVE will by shredding it with copious writes.
Hey..
So I tried an another ssd (recently buyed - today) and I got the same issue.

I‘m driving crazy…

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
SSD: SN580 NVMe M.2 (1TB)
RAM: 2x4gb ddr4

Alright, first, the SSD will not be a good choice for Proxmox VE (you will consume the TBW sooner than you think), but that does not explain why you are experiencing your issues on Ryzen 5 or on 8GB RAM.

What stage do you get to? You install PVE and it cannot reboot? You run it but is "slow"? Are you able to share (attach) logs from the system running for a while?

journalctl -b 0 > pve.log

Alright, first, the SSD will not be a good choice for Proxmox VE (you will consume the TBW sooner than you think), but that does not explain why you are experiencing your issues on Ryzen 5 or on 8GB RAM.

What stage do you get to? You install PVE and it cannot reboot? You run it but is "slow"? Are you able to share (attach) logs from the system running for a while?

journalctl -b 0 > pve.log
https://media.discordapp.net/attach...a40b04e235b924835fc9fe659057287af9b3cb3585f8&

So its looking, I don‘t even have a console. It stays on this black screen.

Is there any reason why your first video was PVE v8 and this one is v7.4?

Of course it would make everything easier to start installing from scratch and v8. Since you are already making it into a video, is your NVMe drive recognised by the firmware at all? You need to be more explicit what you are doing and where you got stuck. If you throw everything at it, it's hard to help because it's not possible to make sense of it for someone not by your side watching it all.

Is there any reason why your first video was PVE v8 and this one is v7.4?

Of course it would make everything easier to start installing from scratch and v8. Since you are already making it into a video, is your NVMe drive recognised by the firmware at all? You need to be more explicit what you are doing and where you got stuck. If you throw everything at it, it's hard to help because it's not possible to make sense of it for someone not by your side watching it all.
A few days ago, I installed Proxmox using an ISO file on a bootable USB stick. The first installation went perfectly, and Proxmox was running, though not as smoothly as I had expected. It was running on version PVE v7.4.

I decided to clean my disk, but after doing so, I encountered issues with booting. Both my old SSD and my new SSD have firmware and are initialized with my motherboard. This is the problem I’m facing, and I’m quite frustrated.

I’ve been trying to install Proxmox PVE 8.2, but nothing happens. I also tried reverting to PVE v7.4 without success. Do you understand me?

A few days ago, I installed Proxmox using an ISO file on a bootable USB stick. The first installation went perfectly, and Proxmox was running, though not as smoothly as I had expected. It was running on version PVE v7.4.

I decided to clean my disk, but after doing so, I encountered issues with booting. Both my old SSD and my new SSD have firmware and are initialized with my motherboard. This is the problem I’m facing, and I’m quite frustrated.

I’ve been trying to install Proxmox PVE 8.2, but nothing happens. I also tried reverting to PVE v7.4 without success. Do you understand me?

Ok, from those pieces of advice above:

1) Have you tried the "nomodeset" option?
2) Have you tried to install Debian first?

And I will add another one - are you able to e.g. boot a Live ISO of Debian:

https://www.debian.org/CD/live/

Ok, from those pieces of advice above:

1) Have you tried the "nomodeset" option?
2) Have you tried to install Debian first?

And I will add another one - are you able to e.g. boot a Live ISO of Debian:

https://www.debian.org/CD/live/

Adding the nomodeset Kernel Parameter

Problems may arise on very old or very new hardware due to graphics drivers. If the installation hangs during boot, you can try adding the nomodeset parameter. This prevents the Linux kernel from loading any graphics drivers and forces it to continue using the BIOS/UEFI-provided framebuffer.
On the Proxmox VE bootloader menu, navigate to [I]Install Proxmox VE (Terminal UI)[/I] and press e to edit the entry. Using the arrow keys, navigate to the line starting with linux, move the cursor to the end of that line and add the parameter nomodeset, separated by a space from the pre-existing last parameter.
Then press Ctrl-X or F10 to boot the configuration.

So the funny part is: if I press E, nothing happens. :)

I am currently installing debian iso - need a few hours

Adding the nomodeset Kernel Parameter

Problems may arise on very old or very new hardware due to graphics drivers. If the installation hangs during boot, you can try adding the nomodeset parameter. This prevents the Linux kernel from loading any graphics drivers and forces it to continue using the BIOS/UEFI-provided framebuffer.
On the Proxmox VE bootloader menu, navigate to [I]Install Proxmox VE (Terminal UI)[/I] and press e to edit the entry. Using the arrow keys, navigate to the line starting with linux, move the cursor to the end of that line and add the parameter nomodeset, separated by a space from the pre-existing last parameter.
Then press Ctrl-X or F10 to boot the configuration.

So the funny part is: if I press E, nothing happens. :)

I am currently installing debian iso - need a few hours

Let's just rule out it's the PVE installer at fault.

The LIVE Debian allows you to simply boot off e.g. USB without having to have access to any drives and troubleshoot. But of course if you can install regular Debian and put PVE on top of it.

It's just very strange from what you described, as if something changed in terms of hardware.

Let's just rule out it's the PVE installer at fault.

The LIVE Debian allows you to simply boot off e.g. USB without having to have access to any drives and troubleshoot. But of course if you can install regular Debian and put PVE on top of it.

It's just very strange from what you described, as if something changed in terms of hardware.
OKAY OMG - I am at this point iam just stupid.

My fault: I started the installisation and pressing E. But I had to press E before I start the installisation. Now proxmox with that parameter is booting the installisation.

But now I run into the issue, if the install is finished my pc goes into a boot loop, without successful boot. Any advice?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!