Proxmox server upgrade

GattoDispettoso

Renowned Member
Sep 19, 2013
Hi all,
i have two proxmox servers with version 4.1-1 installed. Today they still works fine but i can't access the web gui as they uses older ssl protocols. (Firefox do this if configured to accept older SSL versions.)

Wishing to upgrade them to the latest version 7.3 there is a safe way to do this 'in place' or i must move all VM's from one server to the other and reinstall completely the first from scratch? I red somethings in the forum and just the upgrade from 4 to 5 seems very hard.

Any advice?

Thank you

I recently did an upgrade from 5 to 7, the only way to do it is one version at a time.
Start here:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_4.x_to_5.0

Once you get to 5 the upgrade to 6 is similar but there is a new command pve5to6 you can run first to give you a test if things will work.

As for how your VM's will handle it, really depends on your specific setup and I cannot say.

Hi all,
i have two proxmox servers with version 4.1-1 installed. Today they still works fine but i can't access the web gui as they uses older ssl protocols. (Firefox do this if configured to accept older SSL versions.)

Wishing to upgrade them to the latest version 7.3 there is a safe way to do this 'in place' or i must move all VM's from one server to the other and reinstall completely the first from scratch? I red somethings in the forum and just the upgrade from 4 to 5 seems very hard.

Any advice?

Thank you

Whare are you using? ZFS? Single Nodes, Cluster? Do you have separate disks for os and vm-storage? If yes you might be quicker to reinstall with 7.0 and import zfs pool for example.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lukas Wagner

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!