Proxmox server shuts down after a few minutes?

andre78

Aug 9, 2019
Hi,

I've been running this Proxmox server since more than a year. Yesterday I ran the updates
Code:
apt update && apt upgrade && apt clean && apt autoremove
like every few days before shutting the server down for some electrical maintenance. I was rewiring an electrical circuit - this server and another server which is running fine (also updated before shutting down) are on the same UPS. Because of this I am sure this is not an electrical supply problem.

The server boots up without any error (wouldn't I see file system error messages if it just lost power?), launches all VMs, but after 10 - 20 minutes when I check back it's turned off. I don't know if it shuts down or turns off, and have been running

Code:
tail -F btmp debug faillog kern.log lastlog messages

from a SSH terminal to see if anything happens but nothing there except the usual stuff:

Code:
Jun 13 08:30:00 zen systemd[1]: Starting Proxmox VE replication runner...
Jun 13 08:30:04 zen systemd[1]: pvesr.service: Succeeded.
Jun 13 08:30:04 zen systemd[1]: Started Proxmox VE replication runner.
client_loop: send disconnect: Broken pipe

I already looked what happened when I let the machine sit in the BIOS for longer - it doesn't turn off there.

I have no idea how to figure out what is happening. How do I access the relevant logs from before the reboot? For example, on other systems there was a /var/log/dmesg - but not on Proxmox?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi,
I've been running this Proxmox server since more than a year. Yesterday I ran the updates
Code:
apt update && apt upgrade && apt clean && apt autoremove
like every few days before shutting the server down for some electrical maintenance. I was rewiring an electrical circuit - this server and another server which is running fine (also updated before shutting down) are on the same UPS. Because of this I am sure this is not an electrical supply problem.
Please always use apt full-upgrade with PVE:
full-upgrade performs the function of upgrade but will remove currently installed packages if this is needed to upgrade the system as a whole.

The server boots up without any error (wouldn't I see file system error messages if it just lost power?), launches all VMs, but after 10 - 20 minutes when I check back it's turned off. I don't know if it shuts down or turns off, and have been running

Code:
tail -F btmp debug faillog kern.log lastlog messages

from a SSH terminal to see if anything happens but nothing there except the usual stuff:

Code:
Jun 13 08:30:00 zen systemd[1]: Starting Proxmox VE replication runner...
Jun 13 08:30:04 zen systemd[1]: pvesr.service: Succeeded.
Jun 13 08:30:04 zen systemd[1]: Started Proxmox VE replication runner.
client_loop: send disconnect: Broken pipe

I already looked what happened when I let the machine sit in the BIOS for longer - it doesn't turn off there.

I have no idea how to figure out what is happening. How do I access the relevant logs from before the reboot? For example, on other systems there was a /var/log/dmesg - but not on Proxmox?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Anything in journalctl -b and /var/log/syslog?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!