Proxmox server DHCP

E

endium

Is it possible to have the proxmox server use dhcp instead of a static ip address? I want to be able to access the server by the fqdn, and don't care if the ip address changes. This is because I don't have control over giving a static ip address in our network.

I tried editing /etc/network/interfaces to have vmbr0 use dhcp instead of static ip. This works and I can access the admin GUI by the assigned ip address. For VMs I set the networking to bridged mode, and set eth0 also to use dhcp. This also seems to work.

What doesn't work is that I can't access the proxmox server by the fqdn. hostname -f says unknown host. I also notice that everytime i restart the server, proxmox is trying trying to add a line to /etc/hosts linking the domain to an IP.

Without any changes to the system and with a static IP it looks like this:
Code:
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
[IP] [FQDN] [Hostname]
after changing to use dhcp, and say after 4 restarts I get this:

Code:
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
[FQDN] [Hostname] 
[FQDN] [Hostname] 
[FQDN] [Hostname] 
[FQDN] [Hostname]

Its old thread but I ve also would like to know if it is still unsupperted to use DHCP on host. I would like to omit additional router if possible.

Ive configured /etc/network/interfaces as:

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet dhcp
    bridge_ports eth0
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0

But in internet GUI in System configuration / network I have only eth1 present but eth0 is not present.
I can connect to host mashine through internet.

I have some simple personal projects on server and I would like to test and play with it.

Regards,
Piotr

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!