Proxmox Scale Down - Edge Computing for VNFs

virtualbitz

Nov 6, 2020
I'm working on a side project of looking into a mini edge hypervisor that can run some small lightweight edge VMs and containers, like PFSense and the like. The hardware I have in mind is something along the lines of an Intel NUC or a Protectli Vault. I'd like to run the system with 4GB of RAM max. Do you think it would be practical to try and use Proxmox in this way? How much RAM will a brand new install of Proxmox use without anything running?

My testlab uses 1,5GB when nothing is running.

Pfsense also takes 1-1,5GB.

It's possible but you are very limited with 4GB.

1606334493537.png

Reactions: virtualbitz
Hi, I got Proxmox Ve 7 on a Edge Server (Mini PC+ 4 Port) on Intel Celeron CPU J1900 (4 core) + 4GB RAM + 40GB SSD for my Wifi Firewall for my WIFI-Network , with multiple ISP GW as LXC Debian 11 Container on Local and Local-LVM with IPTables, Static Routing and Zerotier Configured to be accessible via all all ISP, so that server is avail via all ISP from outside, and it has gone in production with no issue. , So thanks to Proxmox Team and backend LXC team too. for such a wonderful product. , its using 50% resource even after 4 lxc. Attached Screenshoot for ready reference.

WifiEdge Screenshot 2021-10-20 at 7.37.23 PM-1024.pngWifiEdge Screenshot 2021-10-20 at 7.39.09 PM-1024.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!