Proxmox restarts randomly

GraphiqueXpert

Oct 3, 2022
Hello, here is my problem:
My Proxmox server reboots randomly, at any time, with no error log, well, that I know of. It just seems that a cron initiates a reboot at random times. Looking in the logs, it's just a "normal" reboot.
By doing a "systemctl status" I find it:

State: degraded
Jobs: 0 queued
Failed: 1 units
Since: Mon 2022-10-03 21:00:44 CEST; 35min ago
CGroup: /

This is the only place where I find an error.
In the GUI, in the "SYSLOG" tab, the only mention of a reboot is "-- Reboot --", with no error before
I don't understand much about it.

Sorry for my bad English.

The -- Reboot -- message is also there with an unexpected shutdown. Can you please check if Proxmox does or doesn't graceful shutdown of the running VMs and containers before the reboot? Is there a Stopped PVE guests. in the Syslog (or journalctl)? Otherwise it might as well be a power failure of a wall outlet.
Any information about your hardware and number of VMs might give a clue, as an insufficient (or old) PSU might also cause power problems.

Indeed, I don't see a clean shutdown message from the machines. I will have to check the power supply in the next days (not being here). I was going to do a PSU check in any case, I will write in the next few days if it solves my problem, and close the task. Thanking you ;)

HI !

After changing the power supply, reinstalling proxmox at 100%, updating my bios, it still restarts randomly !!! What is this problem?! On the forums, I find a lot of people who have the same problem without having a solution. No Log, just a " -- Reboot -- ". Seriously, who could help me without telling me "it's coming from my feed"?
Is there a licensing system or disable configuration?
I'm not the only one in this case and I can't find any way to just use my server via proxmox...
If this is a hardware problem, the server would not restart properly after a sudden shutdown...
Thanks a lot.
Sorry for my broken English

Server Hardware :
  • CPU: i7 9700
  • MB: M-ATX H370M-HDV ASROCK
  • RAM : 2x16 (32Gb )2666MHz CRUCIAL
  • STORAGE : FULL SSD : 2x500 RAID 1 ( 1To data storage )CRUCIAL & SANDISK + 1x120 System PNY
  • APU : 650W BRONZE SEMI-MODULAIRE AEROCOOL
  • PCIE : 1x TP-LINK TG-3468

Attachments

• 2022-10-13_21h54_05.png
    2022-10-13_21h54_05.png
    141 KB · Views: 45
  • 2022-10-13_21h55_28.png
    2022-10-13_21h55_28.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 42
Did you check the RAM with memtest86, as you don't got ECC RAM so RAM errors could happen crashing the server?

I experience the same behaviour. All the Hardware is new and ECC RAM is installed. It ran for 3 months, now suddenly a --REBOOT--

@GraphiqueXpert Could you find a solution?

I experience the same behaviour. All the Hardware is new and ECC RAM is installed. It ran for 3 months, now suddenly a --REBOOT--

@GraphiqueXpert Could you find a solution?
My solution? I changed my processor + motherboard xD

Namely, I am remote, so I never really saw what was happening physically.

So I searched the logs, and by searching the logs of my UPS, I saw that the server was simply cutting its power. Knowing that I had configured in the BIOS the automatic reboot after a loss of power, I interpreted the problem as a reboot, I deduced that the CPU or the MB was dead. Not having the time to take care of it, I just changed the parts and switched to another model of MB + CPU

Sorry, I didn't see the notification on the forum. If you finally found a solution, I'm interested ;)
Good luck

I am having same problem with all brand new hardwares for 3-4 proxmox nodes. So I really do not think it is realted to hardware. Luckly it happens only 1-2 times in 2-3 months..

Only thing in logs is:
-- Reboot --
And yes there are many threads in forum.

Last edited:
Hi, same error for me this night, unexplained reboot after a bit more than a month. This hardware has been running pm for 2-3 years now and this never happened.

Power is through UPS with battery. Other hardware using the same a power source did not flinch.

I only have the mention
-- Reboot --

After this, the hardware fails to recover and boot the VMs as specified in the PM configuration. If the hardware is manually rebooted or gracefully through software, VMs do boot as intended.

A manual intervention was needed.

Anyone has any idea?

Last edited:
Have the same issue. VMS are shutting down. But logs doesn't mention the system reboot. All started in 7.4.3 version

Have the same issue with my system:
HP Elitedesk 800 G4 SFF with Intel i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB M.2 SSD, 4TB HDD.

Changed RAM already and tried different Kernels but getting reboots several times a day. Very annoying. Logs dont show anything helpful.
Searching the internet, many people seem to have this issue which nobody has a solution yet...

Last edited:
HI !

After changing the power supply, reinstalling proxmox at 100%, updating my bios, it still restarts randomly !!! What is this problem?! On the forums, I find a lot of people who have the same problem without having a solution. No Log, just a " -- Reboot -- ". Seriously, who could help me without telling me "it's coming from my feed"?
Is there a licensing system or disable configuration?
I'm not the only one in this case and I can't find any way to just use my server via proxmox...
If this is a hardware problem, the server would not restart properly after a sudden shutdown...
Thanks a lot.
Sorry for my broken English

Server Hardware :
  • CPU: i7 9700
  • MB: M-ATX H370M-HDV ASROCK
  • RAM : 2x16 (32Gb )2666MHz CRUCIAL
  • STORAGE : FULL SSD : 2x500 RAID 1 ( 1To data storage )CRUCIAL & SANDISK + 1x120 System PNY
  • APU : 650W BRONZE SEMI-MODULAIRE AEROCOOL
  • PCIE : 1x TP-LINK TG-3468
I have the same issue with Proxmox 7.4 but this morning I decided to make one change. When the boot loader comes up, I switched to pve-kernel-5.15: 7.4-1 My uptime is just over 7 hours now.

My system has been shuting down ever since I upgraded to 7.4

It looks like I resolved my issue by updating UEFI to latest release for my motherboard. few days without reboot now.

I have the same issue with Proxmox 7.4 but this morning I decided to make one change. When the boot loader comes up, I switched to pve-kernel-5.15: 7.4-1 My uptime is just over 7 hours now.

My system has been shuting down ever since I upgraded to 7.4
Just a quick update to say its been 24 hours and I'm not seeing reboots or shutdowns after switching to an older kernel.

I have the same issue. It happend short after being up for 2 days. So, at day 3. I have an AliExpress Mini PC... don't know where to look for a possible UEFI fix. But if it worked for many stable in earlier versions of Proxmox I hope it will be fixed in an upcoming update.

It looks that there were some reports generated before the reboot took place see:

Code:
Apr 24 00:17:01 pve CRON[516099]: (root) CMD (   cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Apr 24 00:17:01 pve CRON[516098]: pam_unix(cron:session): session closed for user root
-- Reboot --
Apr 24 00:18:32 pve kernel: Linux version 5.15.104-1-pve (build@proxmox) (gcc (Debian 10.2.1-6) 10.2.1 20210110, GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.35.2) #1 SMP PVE 5.15.104-2 (2023-04-12T11:23Z) ()
Apr 24 00:18:32 pve kernel: Command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.15.104-1-pve root=/dev/mapper/pve-root ro quiet intel_iommu=on iommu=pt

Last edited:
Hello, I have the same issue as the folks listed above, with one exception that the reboot brings the server down. So the only solution is to manually reboot.

My specs are :
CPU(s) 16 x 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz (1 Socket) with 128G Memory and 8 TB SSD in RAID 5
Kernel Version Linux 5.15.104-1-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.15.104-2 (2023-04-12T11:23Z)
PVE Manager Version pve-manager/7.4-3/9002ab8a

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!