Proxmox PVE disappear from the host

Guillaume Soucy

Oct 20, 2017
L'Orignal, Canada
guillaumesoucy.com
Hello,

I tried to login into my PVE and it fails saying that the credentials aren't good. I did a reboot, when connected using SSH, the machine is very slow and the weirdest part is that the directory /etc/pve is completely empty. No more VM configuration files.

I will do a fresh install and restore the backups but, how to know what really happened?

Thanks,

Guillaume

I tried to login into my PVE and it fails saying that the credentials aren't good. I did a reboot, when connected using SSH, the machine is very slow and the weirdest part is that the directory /etc/pve is completely empty. No more VM configuration files.
The /etc/pve directory is empty when the PVE services do not (all) start (because /etc/pve/ are not real files but come from a database https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#chapter_pmxcfs ). This happens sometimes and can probably be restored by fixing the underlying cause.
I will do a fresh install and restore the backups but, how to know what really happened?
Check which services did not start (systemctl --failed) and check the system log (journalctl -b 0) for error messages to find out where the problem might be, for a start.

The /etc/pve directory is empty when the PVE services do not (all) start (because /etc/pve/ are not real files but come from a database https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#chapter_pmxcfs ). This happens sometimes and can probably be restored by fixing the underlying cause.

Check which services did not start (systemctl --failed) and check the system log (journalctl -b 0) for error messages to find out where the problem might be, for a start.
Okay, will try this before and will let you know the results.

Thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!