Proxmox PCI-E Passthrough to host monitor?

Redicat

May 22, 2021
Hi,
I'm having a few issues setting up PCI-E Passthrough as i cant get a display output from my RX 580 dvi-d port from the main proxmox server which its installed on... i dont want to remote desktop into my Windows 10 VM i just want display out on host.. everything i've followed correctly on https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/PCI(e)_Passthrough#_host_device_passthrough but the .rom of my GPU is not setup... i dont know if i need this or not? i dont know how i get this rom file on the correct directory from outside the proxmox ve server /usr/share/kvm/

Previously i've been able to get it to show up in the device manager of Windows 10 VM. as soon as install network driver it cant display image on novnc after reboot and windows spin circle stops spinning after 2 seconds..

Can i get a display out to my monitor from RX580 DVI-D output on Windows 10 VM?

Display gets on standby mode everytime! NO display/standby

Thanks.

Last edited:
Maybe scp can help you copy a file to Proxmox? Usually a romfile is not necessary for AMD cards. Can you login to the VM with RDP, otherwise it might be that something is not working correctly? It might help to not enable Spice of NoVNC to make sure that the passed through GPU is the only one in the VM. Set Display to none for the VM or set vga:none in the configuration file. For Linux VMs use a virtual serial with xterm.js and configure GRUB for serial to view the boot process before the GPU driver is started, but I don't know if this is possible for Windows.

Maybe scp can help you copy a file to Proxmox? Usually a romfile is not necessary for AMD cards. Can you login to the VM with RDP, otherwise it might be that something is not working correctly? It might help to not enable Spice of NoVNC to make sure that the passed through GPU is the only one in the VM. Set Display to none for the VM or set vga:none in the configuration file. For Linux VMs use a virtual serial with xterm.js and configure GRUB for serial to view the boot process before the GPU driver is started, but I don't know if this is possible for Windows.
Yes display set to none and GPU is Primary but it doesnt output video to display even with the rom file added like you said its not needed apparently i've done this procces over and over again without results i can remote desktop into it yes i can get into it with Web gui/novnc just fine the rest nope display just goes into standby mode after i boot the vm up edit: ofc display set to vga for novnc

Last edited:
Yes display set to none and GPU is Primary but it doesnt output video to display even with the rom file added like you said its not needed apparently i've done this procces over and over again without results i can remote desktop into it yes i can get into it with Web gui/novnc just fine the rest nope display just goes into standby mode after i boot the vm up edit: ofc display set to vga for novnc
Okay, sorry, I thought that novnc implied that Display was not set to none. Then I don't know why WIndows won't display on thew monitor. Any hints from Device Management or Display Settings about the GPU or detected monitors?

Okay, sorry, I thought that novnc implied that Display was not set to none. Then I don't know why WIndows won't display on thew monitor. Any hints from Device Management or Display Settings about the GPU or detected monitors?
Ok boot gets stuck at spinning circles when GPU driver is installed. + no remote desktop

RX580 does not always reset properly (sometimes after the first time) and you might need to reboot the host (and make sure amdgpu driver does not touch the GPU) before starting the VM. I suggest installing vendor-reset to make it reset properly.
EDIT: When Display is set to none, I cannot use novnc and it gives qmp command 'change' failed - VNC display not active. How can you use novnc when Display is set to none? Can you please show the configuration file of the VM?

Last edited:
RX580 does not always reset properly (sometimes after the first time) and you might need to reboot the host (and make sure amdgpu driver does not touch the GPU) before starting the VM. I suggest installing vendor-reset to make it reset properly.
Ok how exactly does this work? do i follow the GitHub page?

Ok how exactly does this work? do i follow the GitHub page?
Follow the information on this page. Install Git and kernel headers using (apt install git dkms build-essential pve-headers (add pve-headers-5.11 if you use pve-kernel-5.11). Run git clone https://github.com/gnif/vendor-reset.git, cd vendor-reset, dkms install . (as root). Make sure vendor-reset module is loaded before amdgpu (using softdep in /etc/modprobe.d/ or maybe you already made sure that amdgpu is not loaded?).
EDIT: Or just reboot the host each time before starting the VM until you feel comfortable to use vendor-reset. (I still can't reproduce using novnc with vga: none.)

Last edited:
Make sure vendor-reset module is loaded before amdgpu (using softdep in /etc/modprobe.d/ or maybe you already made sure that amdgpu is not loaded?).
Huh? how do i do that part exactly?

I've done all the rest from that website step by step what do i do now?

Did you already add (a) file(s) to /etc/modprobe.d/ to set options for zfs and vfio-pci? Then just add:
softdep vfio-pci pre: vendor-reset softdep amdgpu pre: vfio_pci softdep radeon pre: amdgpu
which work fine for my RX570. Alternatively use options vfio-pci ids=...,... (devices IDs for the RX580 from lspci -n) if the RX580 is a secondary GPU and not used during startup or use blacklist amdgpu if you use another GPU for the host and have no other AMD GPUs.
Don't forget to run update-initramfs -u and to reboot.

(I still can't reproduce using novnc with vga: none.)
Never mentioned that, it indeed doesnt show up with vga set to none..

The behaviour changed now as i start the VM the display wont go into standby mode anymore but just doesn't change/freezes?

Never mentioned that, it indeed doesnt show up with vga set to none..

The behaviour changed now as i start the VM the display wont go into standby mode anymore but just doesn't change/freezes?
Maybe the GPU passthrough fails? Hard to tell without errors or logs. If the GPU reset is the problem, vendor-reset should help.

Did you already add (a) file(s) to /etc/modprobe.d/ to set options for zfs and vfio-pci? Then just add:
softdep vfio-pci pre: vendor-reset softdep amdgpu pre: vfio_pci softdep radeon pre: amdgpu
which work fine for my RX570. Alternatively use options vfio-pci ids=...,... (devices IDs for the RX580 from lspci -n) if the RX580 is a secondary GPU and not used during startup or use blacklist amdgpu if you use another GPU for the host and have no other AMD GPUs.
Don't forget to run update-initramfs -u and to reboot.
ok when i run these commands the shell said that command not found
also i didnt add files to /etc/modprobe.d/ ?

how do i do all of this?

Those are not commands. They are lines to add to a file in /etc/modprobe.d/. For example run nano /etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf and add
softdep vfio-pci pre: vendor-reset softdep amdgpu pre: vfio_p
Then run update-initramfs -u and reboot. See if that improves things.
Please let me know how many GPU devices you have and which brand/type they are. This is all a bit tricky and usually a bit of trial and error. While your at it, please share the contents of the VM configuration file in /etc/pve/qemu-server/ and your iOMMU groups using for d in /sys/kernel/iommu_groups/*/devices/*; do n=${d#*/iommu_groups/*}; n=${n%%/*}; printf 'IOMMU group %s ' "$n"; lspci -nns "${d##*/}"; done. Getting hardware to work with PCI passthrough needs some Linux command-line and kernel (module) parameters experience, and having some luck with the chosen hardware. It is not point and click, so to speak.

Those are not commands. They are lines to add to a file in /etc/modprobe.d/. For example run nano /etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf and add
softdep vfio-pci pre: vendor-reset softdep amdgpu pre: vfio_p
Then run update-initramfs -u and reboot. See if that improves things.
Please let me know how many GPU devices you have and which brand/type they are. This is all a bit tricky and usually a bit of trial and error. While your at it, please share the contents of the VM configuration file in /etc/pve/qemu-server/ and your iOMMU groups using for d in /sys/kernel/iommu_groups/*/devices/*; do n=${d#*/iommu_groups/*}; n=${n%%/*}; printf 'IOMMU group %s ' "$n"; lspci -nns "${d##*/}"; done. Getting hardware to work with PCI passthrough needs some Linux command-line and kernel (module) parameters experience, and having some luck with the chosen hardware. It is not point and click, so to speak.
OK done,

1 GPU, MSI RX 580 8GB GAMING X

IOMMU group 0 00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 DMI2 [8086:3c00] (rev 07)
IOMMU group 10 00:1a.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller #2 [8086:1d2d] (rev 06)
IOMMU group 11 00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset High Definition Audio Controller [8086:1d20] (rev 06)
IOMMU group 12 00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset PCI Express Root Port 1 [8086:1d10] (rev b6)
IOMMU group 13 00:1c.2 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset PCI Express Root Port 3 [8086:1d14] (rev b6)
IOMMU group 14 00:1d.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller #1 [8086:1d26] (rev 06)
IOMMU group 15 00:1e.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge [8086:244e] (rev a6)
IOMMU group 16 00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset LPC Controller [8086:1d41] (rev 06)
IOMMU group 16 00:1f.2 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset 6-Port SATA AHCI Controller [8086:1d02] (rev 06)
IOMMU group 16 00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset SMBus Host Controller [8086:1d22] (rev 06)
IOMMU group 17 06:00.0 USB controller [0c03]: VIA Technologies, Inc. VL805 USB 3.0 Host Controller [1106:3483] (rev 01)
IOMMU group 18 07:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394) [0c00]: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6315 Series Firewire Controller [1106:3403] (rev 01)
IOMMU group 1 00:01.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 IIO PCI Express Root Port 1a [8086:3c02] (rev 07)
IOMMU group 1 00:01.1 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 IIO PCI Express Root Port 1b [8086:3c03] (rev 07)
IOMMU group 1 02:00.0 USB controller [0c03]: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller [1033:0194] (rev 04)
IOMMU group 2 00:02.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 IIO PCI Express Root Port 2a [8086:3c04] (rev 07)
IOMMU group 2 03:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller [0108]: Kingston Technologies Device [2646:2263] (rev 03)
IOMMU group 3 00:03.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 IIO PCI Express Root Port 3a in PCI Express Mode [8086:3c08] (rev 07)
IOMMU group 3 04:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480] [1002:67df] (rev e7)
IOMMU group 3 04:00.1 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere HDMI Audio [Radeon RX 470/480 / 570/580/590] [1002:aaf0]
IOMMU group 4 00:05.0 System peripheral [0880]: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Address Map, VTd_Misc, System Management [8086:3c28] (rev 07)
IOMMU group 5 00:05.2 System peripheral [0880]: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 Control Status and Global Errors [8086:3c2a] (rev 07)
IOMMU group 6 00:05.4 PIC [0800]: Intel Corporation Xeon E5/Core i7 I/O APIC [8086:3c2c] (rev 07)
IOMMU group 7 00:11.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset PCI Express Virtual Root Port [8086:1d3e] (rev 06)
IOMMU group 8 00:16.0 Communication controller [0780]: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset MEI Controller #1 [8086:1d3a] (rev 05)
IOMMU group 9 00:19.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection [8086:1502] (rev 06)

Oh and while i may ask if i can passtrough a USB 3.0 PCI-E card?

The USB3 controller at 02:00.0 is alone (ignoring bridges) in IOMMU group 1 and therefore can be passed to a VM (at least once, depending on whether it resets properly), so just try it. The other controllers probably also work but they are USB2, which you might want to try if passing through the USB3 controller does not work. Not many people use PCI passthrough and hardware vendors don't always design and test for this kind of usage. Your GPU is also alone in group 3, so that does not further complicate things.

Having only 1 GPU in the system complicates things, but it can work if the device resets properly (after being used by the boot process of the host) or when you feel comfortable with having no display during the boot process and starting Proxmox (I rather not go that way because it is impossible to troubleshoot from a distance). Either way, you won't be able to login to the console of the host if anything goes wrong after staring the VM, so please don't enable auto-start yet! Because it is a RX580, it sometimes doesn't reset properly. If this was a secondary GPU, it should work at least once for a VM, but it is also used by the Proxmox host and while booting the system so the VM is already the second use of the GPU. To make sure that it resets properly, you need to setup vendor-reset (as explained earlier).

Please show me the VM configuration file in /etc/pve/qemu-server/. It is the file with the number of the VM and ending in .conf.
Did you get vendor-reset working? What does journaltctl -b 0 | grep -i reset show?

The USB3 controller at 02:00.0 is alone (ignoring bridges) in IOMMU group 1 and therefore can be passed to a VM (at least once, depending on whether it resets properly), so just try it. The other controllers probably also work but they are USB2, which you might want to try if passing through the USB3 controller does not work. Not many people use PCI passthrough and hardware vendors don't always design and test for this kind of usage. Your GPU is also alone in group 3, so that does not further complicate things.

Having only 1 GPU in the system complicates things, but it can work if the device resets properly (after being used by the boot process of the host) or when you feel comfortable with having no display during the boot process and starting Proxmox (I rather not go that way because it is impossible to troubleshoot from a distance). Either way, you won't be able to login to the console of the host if anything goes wrong after staring the VM, so please don't enable auto-start yet! Because it is a RX580, it sometimes doesn't reset properly. If this was a secondary GPU, it should work at least once for a VM, but it is also used by the Proxmox host and while booting the system so the VM is already the second use of the GPU. To make sure that it resets properly, you need to setup vendor-reset (as explained earlier).

Please show me the VM configuration file in /etc/pve/qemu-server/. It is the file with the number of the VM and ending in .conf.
Did you get vendor-reset working? What does journaltctl -b 0 | grep -i reset show?
agent: 1
args: -cpu 'host,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,hv_vendor_id=NV43FIX,kvm=off'
bios: ovmf
boot: order=scsi0;net0
cores: 6
cpu: host,hidden=1,flags=+pcid
efidisk0: Kingston1TB_Mvme:vm-100-disk-1,size=1M
hostpci0: 04:00,pcie=1,romfile=rx580.bin,x-vga=1
machine: pc-q35-5.2
memory: 20000
name: Windows10ProWSJulian
net0: virtio=0A:FF:78:A8:84:9A,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: win10
scsi0: Kingston1TB_Mvme:vm-100-disk-0,cache=writeback,iothread=1,size=858G,ssd=1
scsi2: local:iso/DRIVER.iso,media=cdrom,size=37686K
scsi3: local:iso/virtio-win-0.1.190.iso,media=cdrom,size=489986K
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
smbios1: uuid=29b4bcb3-033e-48fc-978e-dc72ee089460
sockets: 2
usb0: host=0556:0002
usb1: host=05a7:1020
usb2: host=046d:c31c
usb3: host=1532:005c
vcpus: 10
vga: none
vmgenid: 7a6bf7fa-c80a-443e-ae06-129310bbf63e

once again? this is not a command??? journaltctl -b 0 | grep -i reset
how do i run that?

nvm found it?

root@pve:~# journalctl -b 0 | grep -i reset
May 22 20:14:22 pve kernel: vendor_reset: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
May 22 20:14:22 pve kernel: vendor_reset_hook: installed

Last edited:
For AMD GPUs you don't need those args: -cpu 'host,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,hv_vendor_id=NV43FIX,kvm=off', please remove them. You also don't need hidden=1 in the cpu options. Especially don't use x-vga=1. It seems like you added all NVidia work-arounds that you could find? They might be problematic for AMD GPUs and AMD Windows drivers.
Yes, journalctl -b 0 | grep -i reset is a command (sorry for the typo). Run it in the Proxmox host console or SSH session. I also use inline-code for lines that need to be added literally to files or other literal texts. I don't see references to AMD_POLARIS10 in the output of journalctl, so I assume you ran that command before starting the VM? The hostpci0 looks good but you might want to try without the romfile=rx580.bin as well.
Can you run journalctl -b 0 | grep -i reset after starting the VM? Maybe also check journalctl -b 0 for problems about (starting) the VM?
EDIT: Fixing lots of typos, it's getting late here.

Last edited:
For AMD GPUs you don't need those args: -cpu 'host,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,hv_vendor_id=NV43FIX,kvm=off', please remove them. You also don't need hidden=1 in the cpu options. Especially don't use x-vga=1. It seems like you added all NVidia work-arounds that you could find? They might be problematic for AMD GPUs and AMD Windows drivers.
Yes, journalctl -b 0 | grep -i reset is a command (sorry for the typo). Run it in the Proxmox host console or SSH session. I also use inline-code for lines that need to be added literally to files or other literal texts. I don't see references to AMD_POLARIS10 in the output of journalctl, so I assume you ran that command before starting the VM? The hostpci0 looks good but you might want to try without the romfile=rx580.bin as well.
Can you run journalctl -b 0 | grep -i reset after starting the VM? Maybe also check journalctl -b 0 for problems about (starting) the VM?
EDIT: Fixing lots of typos, it's getting late here.
I did everything mentioned here and removed those things

Now when i start the VM with Display set to none the display is still on and a few things pop up onscreen about kvm

May 22 20:14:22 pve kernel: vendor_reset: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
May 22 20:14:22 pve kernel: vendor_reset_hook: installed
May 22 21:19:32 pve kernel: vfio-pci 0000:04:00.0: AMD_POLARIS10: performing pre-reset
May 22 21:19:32 pve kernel: vfio-pci 0000:04:00.0: AMD_POLARIS10: performing reset
May 22 21:19:32 pve kernel: vfio-pci 0000:04:00.0: AMD_POLARIS10: performing post-reset
May 22 21:19:33 pve kernel: vfio-pci 0000:04:00.0: AMD_POLARIS10: reset result = 0
May 22 21:19:37 pve kernel: vfio-pci 0000:04:00.0: AMD_POLARIS10: performing pre-reset
May 22 21:19:37 pve kernel: vfio-pci 0000:04:00.0: AMD_POLARIS10: performing reset
May 22 21:19:37 pve kernel: vfio-pci 0000:04:00.0: AMD_POLARIS10: performing post-reset
May 22 21:19:37 pve kernel: vfio-pci 0000:04:00.0: AMD_POLARIS10: reset result = 0
May 22 21:19:38 pve kernel: vfio-pci 0000:04:00.0: AMD_POLARIS10: performing pre-reset
May 22 21:19:38 pve kernel: vfio-pci 0000:04:00.0: AMD_POLARIS10: performing reset
May 22 21:19:38 pve kernel: vfio-pci 0000:04:00.0: AMD_POLARIS10: performing post-reset
May 22 21:19:38 pve kernel: vfio-pci 0000:04:00.0: AMD_POLARIS10: reset result = 0
May 22 21:19:49 pve kernel: usb 3-1.3: reset low-speed USB device number 5 using ehci-pci
May 22 21:19:50 pve kernel: usb 3-1.4: reset full-speed USB device number 6 using ehci-pci
May 22 21:19:50 pve kernel: usb 3-1.1: reset full-speed USB device number 3 using ehci-pci
May 22 21:19:50 pve kernel: usb 3-1.2: reset full-speed USB device number 4 using ehci-pci
May 22 21:21:10 pve qmeventd[969]: read: Connection reset by peer
May 22 21:21:10 pve kernel: usb 3-1.4: reset full-speed USB device number 6 using ehci-pci
May 22 21:21:11 pve kernel: usb 3-1.3: reset low-speed USB device number 5 using ehci-pci
May 22 21:21:11 pve kernel: usb 3-1.2: reset full-speed USB device number 4 using ehci-pci
May 22 21:21:11 pve kernel: usb 3-1.1: reset full-speed USB device number 3 using ehci-pci
May 22 21:21:12 pve kernel: vfio-pci 0000:04:00.0: AMD_POLARIS10: performing pre-reset
May 22 21:21:12 pve kernel: vfio-pci 0000:04:00.0: AMD_POLARIS10: performing reset
May 22 21:21:12 pve kernel: vfio-pci 0000:04:00.0: AMD_POLARIS10: performing post-reset
May 22 21:21:12 pve kernel: vfio-pci 0000:04:00.0: AMD_POLARIS10: reset result = 0
May 22 21:26:54 pve kernel: vfio-pci 0000:04:00.0: AMD_POLARIS10: performing pre-reset
May 22 21:26:54 pve kernel: vfio-pci 0000:04:00.0: AMD_POLARIS10: performing reset
May 22 21:26:54 pve kernel: vfio-pci 0000:04:00.0: AMD_POLARIS10: performing post-reset
May 22 21:26:55 pve kernel: vfio-pci 0000:04:00.0: AMD_POLARIS10: reset result = 0
May 22 21:26:59 pve kernel: vfio-pci 0000:04:00.0: AMD_POLARIS10: performing pre-reset
May 22 21:26:59 pve kernel: vfio-pci 0000:04:00.0: AMD_POLARIS10: performing reset
May 22 21:26:59 pve kernel: vfio-pci 0000:04:00.0: AMD_POLARIS10: performing post-reset
May 22 21:26:59 pve kernel: vfio-pci 0000:04:00.0: AMD_POLARIS10: reset result = 0
May 22 21:27:00 pve kernel: vfio-pci 0000:04:00.0: AMD_POLARIS10: performing pre-reset
May 22 21:27:00 pve kernel: vfio-pci 0000:04:00.0: AMD_POLARIS10: performing reset
May 22 21:27:00 pve kernel: vfio-pci 0000:04:00.0: AMD_POLARIS10: performing post-reset
May 22 21:27:00 pve kernel: vfio-pci 0000:04:00.0: AMD_POLARIS10: reset result = 0
May 22 21:27:14 pve kernel: usb 3-1.3: reset low-speed USB device number 5 using ehci-pci
May 22 21:27:14 pve kernel: usb 3-1.4: reset full-speed USB device number 6 using ehci-pci
May 22 21:27:14 pve kernel: usb 3-1.1: reset full-speed USB device number 3 using ehci-pci
May 22 21:27:14 pve kernel: usb 3-1.2: reset full-speed USB device number 4 using ehci-pci
May 22 21:27:34 pve qmeventd[969]: read: Connection reset by peer
May 22 21:27:34 pve kernel: usb 3-1.4: reset full-speed USB device number 6 using ehci-pci
May 22 21:27:34 pve kernel: usb 3-1.3: reset low-speed USB device number 5 using ehci-pci
May 22 21:27:35 pve kernel: usb 3-1.2: reset full-speed USB device number 4 using ehci-pci
May 22 21:27:35 pve kernel: usb 3-1.1: reset full-speed USB device number 3 using ehci-pci
May 22 21:27:35 pve kernel: vfio-pci 0000:04:00.0: AMD_POLARIS10: performing pre-reset
May 22 21:27:35 pve kernel: vfio-pci 0000:04:00.0: AMD_POLARIS10: performing reset
May 22 21:27:35 pve kernel: vfio-pci 0000:04:00.0: AMD_POLARIS10: performing post-reset
May 22 21:27:35 pve kernel: vfio-pci 0000:04:00.0: AMD_POLARIS10: reset result = 0

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!