proxmox OS restarting after editing the " /etc/modules"

jjk.saji

Jan 8, 2021
Hi Good morning,
I am using proxmox CE (6.3-3/eee5f901 (running kernel: 5.4.73-1-pve)
I am trying to explore GPU passthrough with ProxMOX
for this purpose ,I edited the
/etc/default/grub
with the lines
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on iommu=pt"

My pveversion -v shows

pve-manager/6.3-3/eee5f901 (running kernel: 5.4.73-1-pve

My "lscpu" shows
root@server-4:~# lscpu Architecture: x86_64 CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit Byte Order: Little Endian Address sizes: 46 bits physical, 48 bits virtual CPU(s): 48 On-line CPU(s) list: 0-47 Thread(s) per core: 2 Core(s) per socket: 12 Socket(s): 2 NUMA node(s): 2 Vendor ID: GenuineIntel CPU family: 6 Model: 85 Model name: Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6226 CPU @ 2.70GHz Stepping: 7 CPU MHz: 1200.161 BogoMIPS: 5400.00 Virtualization: VT-x L1d cache: 32K L1i cache: 32K L2 cache: 1024K L3 cache: 19712K NUMA node0 CPU(s): 0-11,24-35 NUMA node1 CPU(s): 12-23,36-47 Flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc art arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid dca sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm 3dnowprefetch cpuid_fault epb cat_l3 cdp_l3 invpcid_single intel_ppin ssbd mba ibrs ibpb stibp ibrs_enhanced tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid ept_ad fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid cqm mpx rdt_a avx512f avx512dq rdseed adx smap clflushopt clwb intel_pt avx512cd avx512bw avx512vl xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 xsaves cqm_llc cqm_occup_llc cqm_mbm_total cqm_mbm_local dtherm ida arat pln pts hwp_epp pku ospke avx512_vnni md_clear flush_l1d arch_capabilities

and other details are

root@server-4:~# egrep -o '(vmx|svm)' /proc/cpuinfo | sort | uniq

root@server-4:~# egrep -wo 'vmx|ept|vpid|npt|tpr_shadow|flexpriority|vnmi|lm|aes' /proc/cpuinfo | sort | uniq
aes
ept
flexpriority
lm
tpr_shadow
vmx
vnmi
vpid

After modifying "/etc/modules" with the following contents, and doing "update-initramfs" , my system has become unstable, very few minutes it is rebooting
contents of "/etc/modules" is
vfio
vfio_iommu_type1
vfio_pci
vfio_virqfd

It is rebooting and I am not able to find the cause of it, if I keep the contents of "/etc/modules" back to default, the server works normally without rebooting.

Like to request, guidance and advice to understand why the rebooting happens and how to over come it

thanks
Joseph John

Like to update, that when I comment
vfio
vfio_iommu_type1
vfio_pci
vfio_virqfd

in "/etc/modules" , my ProXMOX instances is not rebooting

root@server-4:~# uptime
04:45:38 up 3 days, 6 min, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.04, 0.06

What can we try to conclude from this, and trying to figure out, why entry in "/etc/modules" makes it reboot

Advice requested
thanks
Joseph John

When trouble shooting and checking, I was thinking, my proxmox 6.3-1 is rebooting after the editing of /etc/modules, because may be
vfio
vfio_iommu_type1
vfo_pci
vfio_virqfd
modules are already loaded,
I checked by giving the command
find /lib/modules/$(uname -r) -type f -name '*.ko*' | grep vfio

and I got the result like
root@server-4:~# find /lib/modules/$(uname -r) -type f -name '*.ko*' | grep vfio
/lib/modules/5.4.73-1-pve/kernel/drivers/vfio/vfio.ko
/lib/modules/5.4.73-1-pve/kernel/drivers/vfio/mdev/vfio_mdev.ko
/lib/modules/5.4.73-1-pve/kernel/drivers/vfio/mdev/mdev.ko
/lib/modules/5.4.73-1-pve/kernel/drivers/vfio/vfio_virqfd.ko
/lib/modules/5.4.73-1-pve/kernel/drivers/vfio/pci/vfio-pci.ko
/lib/modules/5.4.73-1-pve/kernel/drivers/vfio/vfio_iommu_type1.ko

So can we conclude that proxmox was rebooting because this modules are there loaded by default in the proxmox 6.3-1 and be editing the /etc/modules for the same module was rebooting the OS

If it so, please advice, so I can close the thread as solved
thanks
Joseph John

lsmod will show you the loaded modules. Your find-command only show that the modules exist on disk. I would be very surprised if loading already loaded would cause problems. You could try using modprobe to load the modules one at a time to see which one does give problems on your system You could dist-upgrade your Proxmox installation to a newer kernel, maybe that will resolve the issue. Also pve-kernel-5.11 is available for you to try.

Reactions: jjk.saji
Also pve-kernel-5.11 i
Thanks avw
my current instance is "pve-kernel-5.4: 6.3-1"
as you advised, I will do modprobe to load the modules one at a time to see which one does give problems on my system and will update the forum
thanks
Joseph John

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!